• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perforation definition

Anastasi55

Please chastise me if this is posted elsewhere...

I'm reading that the definition of a perforation cut is when the cutter goes through all the layers of media to cut out the item. What type of cutting would make a "perforation?" I.e., when there is a line of small dots or dashes of cuts so an item can be pulled apart by an end user.

I've seen some suggestions of simply designing a CutContour2 layer with a dotted line... Is there any way to simply set a Condition on my plotter?

Thanks to everyone.

unclebun

Perforation cutting is a feature of some (not all) plotters. Usually you have to set the condition on the plotter to do it, as well as move the blade to a different holder location. If you are contour cutting a decal plus perf cutting, you would have to have two cut lines, one for the decal and one for the perf cut. You set the length of the cuts and spaces on the plotter.

Anastasi55

Thanks Unclebun! I get that - and I'm getting better at setting up the contour cut lines. However, I'd like to have an item still attached to the back of the paper stock, but with the tiny cuts that allow an end user to pop it out when they need it - like postage stamps. Would I create a cut line of dotted or dashed lines?

unclebun

Is this a vinyl decal or just a paper sheet with punch out shapes?

If it's just a paper sheet, you would make a series of dashes with short spaces between. You'll have to experiment with the length of cut and length of space. Not enough paper remaining and the cut pieces will come loose while rolling back and forth through the plotter, wrecking things and causing general mayhem. Too much paper remaining and they won't punch out cleanly. It will depend on the paper itself what pattern works the best. You should read the manual that came with your plotter for further directions.

Anastasi55

I'm brainstorming for punch out shape ideas - whether leave items for sales shows, or hangtags, etc. So, my brain might be on the right track of designing a dashed Cut Contour line. I guess I need to experiment... The manual just had the basics of how to set up a Condition and coordinate it with a CutContour layer...