• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perform CR Maintenance

dro289

Hello,

New to the forums, but have lurked a while. I recently purchased an aftermarket ink setup for my Mutoh 1638X from a vendor (believe they are on here, so won't name as of yet). One of the cartridges came defective, and caused a whole bunch of ink (cyan for placement as to where it is on the printer) to leak into the printer itself. We noticed it fairly quick, but not before it leaked enough to warrant about 2 hours of cleaning.

Here we are almost a month later, the printer prints fine, BUT every 24 hours it is telling us to "Perform CR Maintenance". For the first few days, we did it, they were all thorough cleanings, but still did not stop it from repeating this display every 24 hours. Every week since, we perform it as necessary, but still no change. The vendor had reached out and told us we may be doing it to quick, yet we weren't, even timed ourselves. For the past week I've emailed send vendor, to no response via email. I finally directly texted the owner, to which he said he will get back to us tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes as it is a week later. I am just trying to figure out what to do to correct this? If vendor doesn't step up, I will be sure to follow up with the names along with reviews everywhere over it. Hoping in the meantime I can find someone who has had a similar problem.

Derek

Mrgood

Sorry, I don't understand. Your probelem is that your priter ask you to do daily maintenance?

Poslano sa mog SM-A520F koristeći Tapatalk

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I looked through the Service Manual and the user's manual and can't find anything on why that would pop up on the screen. There really aren't any sensors that detect ink leaks either so it shouldn't have anything to do with that. I would also make sure your firmware is up to date. Then call Mutoh directly and talk to one of their techs. Mike Davenport is a good guy to talk to but they are all pretty good.

modernimagesigns

Sounds to me like it needs a capping station replacement. I also was not informed from my vender that it needs to be replaced yearly. Mine was over 3 years old when I learned this valuable lesson. You also need to change the wiper blade on the maintenance (capping) station about every 6 months. Cleaning alone wont stop the wear factor. Hope this helps!

FatCat

So if I understand correctly the printer is telling you to do a CR Maintenance on its own, and you haven't asked it to perform it? Wondering if someone might have gotten in there and changed a setting? I know you can change timing on cleaning, etc. wondering if there is a setting for the CR Maintenance to remind you to clean the printer? Just thinking off the top of my head...

dro289

Thanks for the response guys.

I've had it a year, it has never asked for us to "Perform CR Maintenance" although we did maintain it weekly as directed.

I am going to update firmware Monday and see if that helps us.

I did look through the settings, but could not find anything.

If not, next logical step is call Mutoh and see if they can direct us in any certain direction. Thank you. Will also keep updated.

Mrgood

It is normal that Mutoh 1638x ask you to perform CR maitenance. I'm not sure is it 'normal' to ask you every 24h but sure is recomended to do it once in 48h. But if you
doing it every 24h it think your printer will be happy and gratefull. Of course you can trick it and send cariage to the maintenace position and back without cleaning caps, wiper, tubing flash to remove message( and make printer unhappy ;) )

Poslano sa mog SM-A520F koristeći Tapatalk

Umca

What smart cards you use for load to the printer? Actually, 24h request for CR Maintenance happened on 1638X starts from firmware 3.08 if you use UMS smart cards. You can find this information in corresponding technical bulletin from Mutoh.
You can use EMS smart cards and never see request for CR Maintenance if you want.
Alternate, you can switch InkType in diagnostic menu if you printer unlocked

Last edited: