• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Performance Increase - Best Bang for the Buck?

bullcrew

I enabled mine (3gb switch) and it works great. Dont go above 70% though it starts to be counter productive.
Also what is your drive array, single raid 0 ?
I went to 2 raptor 10k rpm drives in raid 0 and 1 sata 150gb as a back up for files. "in the name of all things holy!" Is it fast.
+ when doing bigger pics the bigger card rolls through the stuff better when loaded (multiple apps) down then my 7600 did,

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
This is what my boot.ini currently reads. Would someone please give me the exact context to edit or insert? Thanks.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB

here is mine Fred,
This gives me the opiton to flip the 3 gig swtich on or not when I boot the system.
I have some apps that I don't want it turned on for.

wayne k
guam usa

tommythesignguy

Bogie is right on the money! dual or triple monitors ( i use NVidia Gforce 7300 GT intended for TV output) are the best investment you can make. Multitasking is where I make my money... drag-drop from one screen to another without minimizing - mucho (at least 2g) ram and the dual core, stay away from vista if you don't want to renew every software that you already bought.
... and I traded the building of this system for $600 worth of signs!

jbq7448

I recently got my wife a new refurb workstation from HP. It is an xw 8400. This one came with 2.4ghz zeon dual core, 2 gigs of ram, 160 gig sata 3 hard drive and 128 meg nvidia quadro fx video card and a DVD-RW drive. These things are built to be heavy duty cad and 3-d modeling workstations. It can upgraded later to 2 xeon quad-cores and up to 64 gigs of ram. I wound up paying just over $1000 including upgraded 3 yr onsite warranty and shipping.

If you keep an eye on their site, they do promotions on refurbs that they have too many of that are deeply discount from even the refurb price.

trsolo

The first thing to do is to replace your video card and don't go cheap there, it's all in the speed. Get the best and fastest gaming card you can afford, that will increase your speed. Second, upgrade your ram, if you run vista, you will need 4 gig, if you stay with XP pro, you can get by with 2 gig.