• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Performance Layout

Dentafrice

Howdy,

I've been trying to hone my skills as a designer over the past little while.. I'm more of a logical.. programatic.. mechanic person.. and I'm trying to harness my creative side.

I got asked to do a decal for a company called KT Performance, diesel performance site. Their original decal was Arial.. just basic KT Performance.net.

I wanted to improve it somewhat. Tell me what you think, what I could improve on.. change.. etc.

I'm just trying to better myself.. and I know it probably sucks! But we all start somewhere.

- Caleb

Attachments

• kt-original.jpg
    kt-original.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 120
  • kt.png
    kt.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 78

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Howdy,

I've been trying to hone my skills as a designer over the past little while.. I'm more of a logical.. programatic.. mechanic person.. and I'm trying to harness my creative side.

I got asked to do a decal for a company called KT Performance, diesel performance site. Their original decal was Arial.. just basic KT Performance.net.

I wanted to improve it somewhat. Tell me what you think, what I could improve on.. change.. etc.

I'm just trying to better myself.. and I know it probably sucks! But we all start somewhere.

- Caleb

A poor choice for a type face, especially all jammed together like you have done. The name is very difficult to make out and the web address is well nigh illegible.

Regardless of your choice of type face, don't make a web address all upper case. Since web addresses are case insensitive, you can use that to your advantage by expressing the address in lower case an only capitalizing individual words within it. In this case 'www.KTPerformance.net'. Morover, since the 'www.' is boilerplate and the '.net' is but one of a mere handful of possibilities, you can make these two elements smaller than the rest of the text of the address if space and the actual layout warrant it.

Jillbeans

Website is way too heavy. I usually don't put "www" into those either.
You want the eye to read the thing in two steps, usually name has the first priority, then secondary copy.
The name doesn't read as KT PERFORMANCE to me.
Maybe if you made the square the same size as the performance part.
You could even do ".net" at an 90° angle maybe, after the name.
That might look cheesy, though.
But it is nicer than what they had.
:)
Love....Jill

Dentafrice

Website is way too heavy. I usually don't put "www" into those either.
You want the eye to read the thing in two steps, usually name has the first priority, then secondary copy.
The name doesn't read as KT PERFORMANCE to me.
Maybe if you made the square the same size as the performance part.
You could even do ".net" at an 90° angle maybe, after the name.
That might look cheesy, though.
But it is nicer than what they had.
:)
Love....Jill
In reference to the 90 degree thing.. I did that on the last decal.. I'll see what I can do.. thanks for the tips! :)

I also tried what you said about the .NET thing..

Attachments

• truck_decal.jpg
    truck_decal.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 96
  • ktperf.jpg
    ktperf.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 91