• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Permanent floor graphics

Foghorn12

I have a customer who wants floor graphics to mark the walkway in their factory. The walkway varries in width from 48"-10' and overall it will be about 1025 sq/ft. of printed graphics. They want it to be permanent so they are wondering if I can print/install the graphics and then they would go over it with an epoxy in hopes that it will stay without it needing to be replaced. I'm assuming they want this to last 5-10 years or more to make it worth while for them. The floor is a smooth concrete and they will be sure to scrub it clean so installing the graphic won't be an issue I don't think. I'm just curious to see if you all think that applying an industrial floor epoxy on top will protect the printed vinyl.
Also, what vinyl would you recommend?
Thanks in advance

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
good post! I'd like to hear what others have to say as well - we've recently had a few customers specifically asking about floor graphics.

HulkSmash

IJ140. most floor graphics are only warranted for 6 months. because of the tread over it. But since your coating over it, should be a problem. Make sure to put edge sealer over the edges so they dont come up under the finish.

JWesthead

I agree with IJ40 if you are going to epoxy over the top (not sure what it will do to the decal/ink so hope you test?

We have had floor decals in our facility (IJ162-10 with 3645) for 5 years and they have held up nicely. One with a lot of foot traffic and another with heavy forklift traffic. To stand behind it with warranty though may be scary with a 1 and 2 year product.

Craig Sjoquist

There is a 2 part clear available that cost $200 about been a few years since last bought, that would allow permanent install and last that 10 yr plus.
I've used it country western dance floor they danced with steel toes and heels .. no damage not even sure of name anymore

signage

FogHorn12 what did you figure out about this?
I have a customer that does resurfacing of concrete floors and epoxy coatings, and wants to do something similar.

Sticky Signs

I've done this on many film sets. Here's what I've done with success. Print on calendared vinyl (it's film so it doesn't have to last forever so you may want to use cast).
We've done it with 2 part epoxies as well as just a water based clear coat and even varnish in some cases. Always test to make sure the product will not interfere with the ink.
Clean the surface properly. Lay the vinyl on. Make sure the edges have good adhesion.
Cover with clear coat.
In my experience, the clear coat usually fails due to the fact that the jobs are rushed and not applied properly. Again, this is stuff I did for the film industry so...

The Justice league is a combination of print/cut vinyl and cut vinyl over marble faux finish. If I remember correctly, we used a high gloss water based clear on this.

The floor is print/cut vinyl with an industrial 2 part epoxy.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 275

dlndesign

I am looking for a laminating solution to apply the non-skid laminate to the floor graphic material, while leaving at minimum 1 inch on all sides of the laminate to adhere directly to the floor.

What I am currently doing is pre lam by hand the first 4" of the print at size, then laying release liner under the print with wax side up for non-adhesion and running through laminator, making marks and cutting to size.

Is this the best solution for what I am trying to accomplish, or is there a better option?
:thread

splizaat

Just got an email this morning for a concrete customer wanting floor graphics...would it be out of the question to apply 3165 or 3651 (laminated with oracal 210) directly to a glossy epoxied floor, then having them epoxy right over the top of the laminated oracal 3165? First time we've gotten this call, and he needs it quickly.

signage

I would test first! Cut vinyl seems to work fine on the one I did! I am not sure what they used to go over the vinyl the guy talked about several differnt coatings!