• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Permanent vs Removable Adhesive

This may be a basic question but I still have some confusion...

Lets use for example cheap oracal 3621 (removable) and Oracal 3640 (permanent)

Both use water based adhesives.

Both say they last 4 years...and from what I have read the only difference is that you can cleanly remove the "removable" for a few years before it becomes "permanent" Something to do with how much force it sticks with...

what about solvent vs water based adhesives? What about proprietary adhesives such as comply or RS adhesive?

I read somewhere that water based adhesives, even if they are permanent, are prone to water infiltration and shorter lives.

What does it all mean?! Or just don't worry about it because they all stay on long enough...I've yet to see an adhesive fail before the vinyl does...

Last edited:
either nobody knows or its such a stupid question it doesn't deserve a response.

There's nothing to say, one's removable one's permanent duh!

/bump

CanuckSigns

This is far from a 100% accurate answer, but it's what I follow:

Water based adhesives are to be used ONLY in indoor products, that being said, we don't stock any vinyls with water based adhesives, only solvent based, due to not wanting to stock yet another material we don't have to.

The comply type of adhesives actually have tiny balls of glass/plastic over the adhesive, which allows the vinyl to float above the surface, when you press the vinyl down, the balls are forced up into the adhesive, allowing the adhesive to bond with the substrate.

The comply type of adhesives actually have tiny balls of glass/plastic over the adhesive, which allows the vinyl to float above the surface, when you press the vinyl down, the balls are forced up into the adhesive, allowing the adhesive to bond with the substrate.

Now that's pretty cool!