• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Permit Newbie in Baltimore

Retro Graphics

Does anyone have experience with getting permits in Baltimore City and County? Up until recently I only sold the sign to the client and installation was on them. I have a client that needs 4 signs installed, all are classified as wall signs I believe but I have never applied for a permit before and Baltimore City online forms are a little vague. I could use some advice the first time through.

Things I don't know:
My role? am i the agent, applicat, contractor?

I have the contact for the property renter at the various locations but not the property owner (not sure how that works).

Wants to know cost of job (do they mean just the sign or labor to install)? my cost or client cost?

one of the signs is a box sign but it's not an electric sign, it was just an aluminum box that someone bolted some plastic letters to, but it's mounted to the wall, does that still count as a wall sign or an awning sign?

Asking here before i have to get on the phone and talk with them directly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hope you realize this is gonna take some time and that you are charging the customer for this service. Things are different from state to state and also..... municipality to municipality.

You are the contractor.

Are you saying these signs are at various locations ?? If so, there's a good chance you need to apply for more than one permit, according to how your jurisdictions are down there.

Cost of complete job from fabrication to instal to the customer. The permits are sometimes based upon those costs.

I would seriously advise you call them, make an appointment and go talk to them.... and take notes, GOOD notes. You are gonna need liability and compensation insurance probably up to 2 or 3 millions dollars worth.

Retro Graphics

Hope you realize this is gonna take some time and that you are charging the customer for this service. Things are different from state to state and also..... municipality to municipality.

You are the contractor.

Are you saying these signs are at various locations ?? If so, there's a good chance you need to apply for more than one permit, according to how your jurisdictions are down there.

Cost of complete job from fabrication to instal to the customer. The permits are sometimes based upon those costs.

I would seriously advise you call them, make an appointment and go talk to them.... and take notes, GOOD notes. You are gonna need liability and compensation insurance probably up to 2 or 3 millions dollars worth.
thanks, I will give them a call then. I do have insurance as I had to have proof of insurance to even get the loan for my new machine. I did learn already that I would need more than 1 permit as well.

signage

It's different insurance than your business/building/contents, it is liability for being a contractor in-case you make a mistake and cause damages to the location(s) you are working at or hurt someone.

Retro Graphics

It's different insurance than your business/building/contents, it is liability for being a contractor in-case you make a mistake and cause damages to the location(s) you are working at or hurt someone.
understood, this does help direct me to the best solutions here. thank you

unclebun

I would recommend even before calling the city that you download and print a copy of the city and the county's sign ordinance. You will find many of your answers there. Many jurisdictions put sign permits under their building department, and so you often have to have a contractor's license to pull a permit. And to get a contractor's license you'll not only have to have liability insurance, but also worker's compensation insurance.

In some jurisdictions, a sign permit is flat rate. I find that when the application asks the value of the sign, it's typically a jurisdiction where the price of the permit is pro rated to the price of the sign and installation.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You could also consider subbing out the install to another local company if this processes is too difficult. I do installs for some other local sign companies in my town.

Retro Graphics

You could also consider subbing out the install to another local company if this processes is too difficult. I do installs for some other local sign companies in my town.
Yeah I have done some vehicle decal work for a few local builder companies, so thinking about sub'ing it to them instead. They at least know more about permits than me.