• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perpetually Connected Devices...

WildWestDesigns

Access to the kernel is indeed what allowed the Crowdstrike mistake to crash everyone's computers. But the safer alternative is essentially outlawed by the agreement the EU forced on Microsoft.
That would affect the EU, things affecting the EU hasn't stopped MS from still doing things here stateside (or lack thereof).

I'm betting Crowdstrike adds some sort of validation function for updates pretty quickly so that if an update fails validation it can simply continue with the current definition files and not cause this sort of an issue again.
Why didn't they check on implement something when they had issues on RHEL based systems earlier this year? Outside the fact that Linux systems handle somethings a little more gracefully, at least in this case, compared to Windows, but that should have been a canary that let them know something.

I really don't think this will change much, given ancillary things, especially from a couple of yrs ago, but I digress.

unclebun

That would affect the EU, things affecting the EU hasn't stopped MS from still doing things here stateside (or lack thereof).

Why didn't they check on implement something when they had issues on RHEL based systems earlier this year? Outside the fact that Linux systems handle somethings a little more gracefully, at least in this case, compared to Windows, but that should have been a canary that let them know something.

I really don't think this will change much, given ancillary things, especially from a couple of yrs ago, but I digress.
The problem is that airlines, etc. want to use the same systems worldwide.

Microsoft could make Windows handle this stuff outside the kernel, just like the other OS, but since they have products that are allowed to work inside the kernel, the EU agreement requires them to allow third parties do the same thing.

weyandsign

Anti-virus software IS the virus. Sorry I mean "Endpoint Security" being the proper fancy sounding name for this trash.

WildWestDesigns

The problem is that airlines, etc. want to use the same systems worldwide.
That is true, most would want that type of consistency, bu they also have to be careful n the systems that they do use.
Microsoft could make Windows handle this stuff outside the kernel, just like the other OS, but since they have products that are allowed to work inside the kernel, the EU agreement requires them to allow third parties do the same thing.
Yes, it allows the choice to the customer as to use the MS one or the 3rd party. It's up to the end users to make that choice and that's on them for choosing who they choose. I don't like some things having access to that level, but I certainly like giving access to yet another group even less.

WildWestDesigns

Maybe it's just me, but somehow, I don't think this would be acceptable to me: Apology

Something about this entire incident, I just don't particularly like, but that could just be me.

I ironically, don't think much will be learned from this (as this isn't the only time that this has happened, even within this year) and it will more likely happen happen again (despite if it was written in Rust the next time, contrary to what the acolytes may think). But that is just me speculating.

unclebun

Oh, they got more than an apology. Crowdstrike offered affected users a $10 Uber Eats gift card...
giphy.gif

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
The Uber Eats card is the smack in the face. Just to use the card a person would have to spend money - that $10 would barely cover the fees and the delivery. My uncle paid $8k for a trip he didn't get to take because his flight was canceled.... I dare a rep from crowdstrike to try and apologize to him with a $10 uber eats card - in person....