• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perplexed by black not printing quality black

flyinsign

I am using a Roland SP-300V with VersaWorks RIP software and I have owned this machine since new. I am very aware of the quality prints that it originally put out. For some reason within the last year I cannot seem to get the blacks in my layouts to be the same quality as the blacks that are printed for the crop marks. I have tried many different things such as updated software, head cleanings, head alignments, etc. I still cannot get the layout black close to the quality of the crop marking black. Anyone experience this or have this issue that can advise of assistance in correcting this?

Thank you in advanced for your time.

Tim

player

Is this a spot colour black? What black do you use?

Where are your files coming from? Software?

Are they CMYK or RGB?

What does your test print look like?

rjssigns

We code what we call Superhero Black for our Roland. 40-40-30-100. You can also try 30-30-30-100 which works quite well.

Mosh

Have you ever changed the caps? That helped my black issue. Also show us a test print.

flyinsign

Here's the picture: Black_Sample_9-5-2014_001.jpg

DRamm76

Looks like you may need to change out the black/cyan head. Lot of banding in those boxes. An overall maintenance check from a technician may prove useful

flyinsign

Thank you all!

I apologize for not getting back to you all sooner! Adding to my plotter issues, I am now having computer issues, other than that life is good!

To answer your questions,,,

1) I am using Spot Color.

2) I have changed caps approximatley 1 year ago.

I have taken your suggestions and made a print and with the help of Fred it has been attached it to this thread for you to view. I do know the last time I had my tech do a tune up we noticed a few nozzles were not firing. At that time he said "if it were him he would not replace the head, it wasn't that bad". The print test that I have done and attached seems to be the same as back then.

When doing the other things that were suggested I have determined that by selecting the "CMYK black" I will be more than satisfied with the results.

A bigger issue that has become apparent when doing these tests is what I believe to be an encoder reading problem (also learned that form this site). I was having spots with blurry printing and stair stepping. After cleaning the encoder strip and reader, I so far believe the prints to be clearer and sharper(?). I am now wondering if that could have been a contributing factor to the quality of my blacks? Any thoughts?

Thank you once again for getting me this far!

flyinsign

Looks like you may need to change out the black/cyan head. Lot of banding in those boxes. An overall maintenance check from a technician may prove useful

Thank you for the reply!

The whole thing that got me scractching my head about this was,,, why would my crop marks print out such a rich vibirant black but the blacks in my layouts always be lacking? Almost like they were printed with a different head? That is even noticable in the attached print test. Obviously my black selection?