• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perplexing

Colin

I thought this was going to be an easy one.....

Attachments

• Reach.jpg
    Reach.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 191

unclebun

Two different fonts. The R is Helvetica/Swiss721. the lower case letters I cannot find a perfect match to.

Colin

Yes, that's what I was starting to think. The other letters possibly one of the Franklin family?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
All you need are two fonts each from four classifications of sans serif fonts:

Grotesque: Frankling Gothic, Akzidenz-Grotesk
Humanist: Gill Sans, Frutiger
Geometrical: Futura, Avant Garde
Neo-Groteque: Helvetica, Univers

I would also throw in:

Impact (Neo-Grotesque; a better display font than a text font)
Optima (considered a humanist letter style, really useful for medical and cosmetics)

Massimo Vignelli once wrote, "In the new computer age the proliferation of typefaces and type manipulations represents a new level of visual pollution threatening our culture. Out of thousands of typefaces, all we need are a few basic ones, and trash the rest." He preferred Helvetica, and Akzidenz-Grotesk, (sans serif), and Century Expanded and Garamond No. 3 (serif). Throw in Futura and Bodoni (probably his signature typeface) and you essentially have this influential designers complete font collection!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Back in the day, it was Egyptian, Thick and Thin, Roman, and Script. Throw in "Casual" (whatever you could whip out fast and still be legible), and "Stunt Roman" (extra fancy Roman) and that was the whole kit. Once in a while you could come up with something novel for a special effect (Convex, Log lettering, Rodeo and Circus, etc), but for everyday signwriting it was one of the four basic letterstyles mentioned above or casual.

Important to keep in mind there was also only 3 colors: black, red and blue. Sometimes green or yellow (with outlines); orange and purple were considered exotic.

Colin

Yes, I remember when I first got into the sign business 31 years ago, in the era of the original Gerber 4B, we had 6 fonts to choose from. LOL