• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pesky dust particles

eydieadams

How can I keep little particles from getting in between my vinyl and substrate? I've tried EVERYTHING (I think). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of doing my signs over and over again.

Thanks so much.

reQ

No rocket science. Keep shop clean as much as possible, than means sweep & mop. You application table, should be just the application table, no cutting with any saws on it or sanding. And keep filters in the furnace clean also, because without good filter it will be blowing dust like crazy.
And still, you will not be able to eliminate 100% of the problem.

IV

I agree with reQ's suggestions, but had somewhat of the same issue after taking his recommended steps when laminating. Seemed some stray airborne particles landed while laminating or fell off the backing material of the laminate. I went to the hardware store, purchased 3/4" pvc, drilled 1/8" holes linearly along the tube every 1" or so, plugged one end and secured the shop vac's discharge tube on the other. Place the tube on your substrate before right before your laminator at a 45 degree pointing towards your substrate but pointing away from the laminator. Turn on the vacuum and it should help keep the "stray" particles off your substrate immediately before you laminate. Hope this helps...

striper14

could be some static electricity too. years ago i was trying to tint some back windows in my van & when i removed the backing you could almost see the dust being attracted. i later found out that if you mist the air with water you had less problems, with static at least...dont know if that would be a good idea in ur workshop tho..

Andy D

I agree with reQ's suggestions, but had somewhat of the same issue after taking his recommended steps when laminating. Seemed some stray airborne particles landed while laminating or fell off the backing material of the laminate. I went to the hardware store, purchased 3/4" pvc, drilled 1/8" holes linearly along the tube every 1" or so, plugged one end and secured the shop vac's discharge tube on the other. Place the tube on your substrate before right before your laminator at a 45 degree pointing towards your substrate but pointing away from the laminator. Turn on the vacuum and it should help keep the "stray" particles off your substrate immediately before you laminate. Hope this helps...

Great idea, Thanks!

How can I keep little particles from getting in between my vinyl and substrate? I've tried EVERYTHING (I think). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of doing my signs over and over again.

Thanks so much.

Are you applying by hand or with a laminator?

If by hand, it doesn't do any good to clean your substrate if your working on a dirty table and/or you put your vinyl with backer on it
after cleaning, the backer will have trash on it.

1st clean your table
2nd blow off your substrate in another area
3rd put you substrate on the table, aligning and tape hinge the print
4th fold back the vinyl, remove the backer but before applying vinyl, soak that half of the substrate and use a window squeegee to remove the water
and then go over the substrate with a painters tack rag.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Back in my sign shop days we used a Swiffer duster to dust off the substrate first. It works really well and is cheap!

klingsdesigns

We use one of these. Works like a charm.

Attachments

• data.jpg
    data.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 121

player

Get 3 or 4 two foot x 2' box fans and tape 24" hepa furnace filters to them. Amazing how much dust they will collect.