• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

phone solicitor harrassment

Vinyldog

Since procuring a loan for my printer back in April I have been bombarded with calls from places wanting to loan me money. In addition to the usual solicitation calls. Eight calls today from solicitors. Three in one hour.
The "Do not call" list is a joke and not for business anyway
Interrupts my workflow. This is hitting me in the pocket-book.

r2prints

I am in the same boat. Perks to having a smartphone as a business phone (I'm a small operation)- the BLOCK THIS CALLER option is great!

This may only be in my case, but I first tried securing personal loans from P2P lending sites. Those guys have a plethora of phony numbers. Some are masked to show up from a few towns away, disguising as a potential client. Only to leave a voicemail to say "Call our 1-800 number". They truly will never sell our information to a third party :rolleyes:

xkellyx

I hate when they show up at our shop! Some can be so pushy! My staff knows to intercept and send them on their way. We have two people who answer the phones for us and they simply hang up on solicitors.

Z SIGNS

My latest response is "hold on I will transfer you to the person in charge"
then I hang up the phone

TheSnowman

We had someone harassing my grandparents and it was the same dude over and over trying to get them to wire money to them so they could get their million dollars. Luckily they didn't fall for it but they wouldn't give up. We got a whistle and blew the whistle in their ears 2X (they called back) and the calls stopped.

richsweeney

solved

About 5 years ago, we switched our phones to voip, and were able to add a phone tree. So when you call our shop, it says press 1 for customer service, or if you are a vendor or want to be a vendor press 9. Pressing 9 will get them this message, " thank you for your interest in being our vendor, please leave a message at the tone" If they press 1 anyway, I then ask if this pertains to a job in progress or a quote, if neither, then I express my sorrow at there confusion and transfer them to line 9. I am never rude, and this save a ton of time.

Vinyldog

Some good ideas. For now I'm lettering the answering machine pick-up all calls if I am printing. Kind of irritating for my real customers, Even just deleting the calls takes time but compared to picking up, eight calls at five min.ea. is over half an hour.
If I'm not real busy I'll pick-up and plead or spar with them depending the mood.
But it's a good plan they have. I love to do business with people who irritate the crap out of me.
I would be curious to know what exactly would constitute harassment?

Kwiksigns

wookie
We have never had a loan and they call daily... My dad just yells at them. I try to be nice and say we're not interested, but when they say "you're not interested in having money?" that is when I get irritated...

visual800

DO NOT CALL was awesome when it first came out. But sure enough they have figured out loopholes. If its toll free I just dont answer BUt if I do answer and they start their BS I just hangup

fresh

Illegitimate businesses ignore the DNC list. They are scammers and liars, why would they follow the law about who they can call and harass?

Vinyldog

And I doubt they are legitimate finance companies. Probably just a soliciting company selling leads if they get one. I'm glad those people have a job if that's all they can get, but not when they're stealing money from me.

Marlene

hand up as fast as you can. if you are polite and talk to them for any time, that goes into the "maybe" file and they'll call you back. just say "not interested" and hang up.

Baz

You can be rude, hang up, yell ... They still keep calling back.

I don't know how many times i've told them the owner is dead, gone on vacation won't be back until next year or just plain hang up. They still don't stop.

Now i just don't care. I hang up with no feelings whatsoever.

Jwalk

I get calls all the time not about loans but seo services mainly.. I recently started to use my "block caller" function on my smart phone. I am beginning to think that was a bad idea. Now I am getting calls from the weirdest places. I think the telemarketers have a way of telling that the number has been blocked them it gets referred to another number so that one isn't blocked.

Plus have you had the phone call once you answer it hangs up. That's phone number mining, once you pick up they know it's a legitimate number. Then they can sell that number to telemarketers.

Team Valhalla

You can always have some fun with them - put some humor in your day.

I tell them that I'm Amish... I don't need the money... and I don't have a phone. They immediately come back with "What are you talking on then?". I tell them that it's a TracFone and I'm on my Rumspringa.

Or...

I act all excited about the "approved loan" and tell them that the money will come in really handy since I've just gone through bankruptcy for the second time and I need some cash.

Soon the calls will quit.

SP