Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Photo Tex

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by TammieH, Dec 30, 2020.

1. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    We have a wall graphic for interior drywall, I was wondering if anyone has used Photo Tex and how well does it stick? The wall I believe has been painted for some time, at least a month.

We do not print in house

I was looking at a Youtube Video on installation ...it appears that its not too tacky, easy to reposition

Thanks for your help and knowledge

Tags:
  2. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    Be safe and get some and test. There are two different version one is higher tac which is probably best for painted drywall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    Walter at phototex will send you a sample. It works great. Keep in mind that phototex is not opaque. Your overlaps will need to be cut like a carpet joint for best results.

4. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    I tend to go with the EX version. Better longevity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    their "hi-tack"(EXS) version is my use-all-phototex as it still has that easy-apply/repositionable characteristic but sticks/holds that much better. their blockout version (OPA/OPASolvent) is also worth consideration, as it also has a slightly higher-tack than the original, but would be ideal if you intend to use overlaps, as phototex is almost like a milkjug-white transparant material on its own.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    It's easy to install. As others have said the opaque version is best otherwise you'll have to double cut the seams.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I go with what WYLD uses, since he makes them for me. It is pretty easy to use and removes cleanly. We have done both trimmed seams and overlap seams, depends on the graphic

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hollywoodsigns

Hollywoodsigns Designer, printer

Jan 31, 2014
    Gresham Oregon
    We use the Photo Tex opaque/Blockout all the time, We just recently switched form the General Formulations GraphTex. Not because anything was wrong with it, it is just what the local supplier carries. But, just make sure the wall was not painted with a Low VOC paint. Even the high tack failed on us. Once the wall was repainted the regular adhesive worked like a champ.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I once did a set of 4 murals in an office with photex opaque. After the holiday weekend, they had issues with 3 out of the 4 starting to peel up. I went back down and reapplied it, and all was good. I also took the opportunity to ask if the heater was on over the thanksgiving break. It did not like the temperature dip, humidity spike and reheating of the walls. As far as I know they stopped turning down the temp, and all has been fine.

10. RaymondLoewy

RaymondLoewy Pretty fly for a Sign Guy

I ordered a roll of the opaque PhotoTex for a wall I'll be doing at a local college and am looking forward to finally using it for a project after testing the normal PhotoTex years ago. I wanted the higher tac, but was glad to see the opaque is still higher tac than the original. I this project gives me issues sticking I plan on using spray adhesive to solve it. I used the Sihl knock off for a 8x18ft mural and it has been disappointing, partially because I didn't clean the wall before hand but bad enough that that can't be the only issue. The Sihl knock off was something that I had in shop and is regularly used for items of low importance (10,000 of them a year).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  11. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Thank you everyone!! You have been of great help!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Thought someone wanted a picture of me...

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  13. PhotoTex Group Inc.

PhotoTex Group Inc. President

Mar 25, 2011
    boardman, OH
    I am happy to send anyone a FREE sample roll - just e-mail me at walterjr@phototexgroup.com and I will give you all the option on versions.

14. PhotoTex Group Inc.

PhotoTex Group Inc. President

Mar 25, 2011
    boardman, OH
    We do now offer a Opaque/Block-out - e-mail me at walterjr@phototexgroup.com and I will send you a free sample.