• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photography back drops

Get Lucky

My wife owns a photography biz and since we have a large format printer she would like to print some out. Has anyone done this and found a material that works well.

I know there are a ton of companies that do this just would like to make our own.

Printing with Eco-solvent inks

Thanks
Kyle

Last edited:

oksigns

I made some small ones for my 16"x16" lightbox using Sihl Durasol film. I use the 9mil. I haven't made a gradient fade since I do primarily product photography, but print quality is so absolutely fantastic on that media.

Get Lucky

I made some small ones for my 16"x16" lightbox using Sihl Durasol film. I use the 9mil. I haven't made a gradient fade since I do primarily product photography, but print quality is so absolutely fantastic on that media.

Looks like a great product but doesn't look to be compatible with Eco-solvent inks, which is something I know realize I should have mentioned :banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If I understand, she wants to make a backdrop for people to stand in front of to get their pictures taken ??

If so, you want to use the dullest material you can find. You don't want glares and hot spots emitting from the background and overpowering the subject matter. We did lots of these on matte finish banner material. This one client had us make quite a few backdrops and she put a pole pocket at the top and then raised up which ever one she wanted.

If your wife wants to print out her photos, then what the other poster said might work better.

MGB_LE

I just did my first yesterday on Ultraflex Superprint Plus. This printed on our new EFI H1625 LED, and seamed together using Bron Killer Red tape. The final size was 10' wide by 8' tall, overlapping two 62" x 98" prints. I used 6 grommets across the top and two at bottom.

The material was very forgiving with all the rolling I had to do during cutting, and the print quality was great.

jtinker

Owner
We did some before, we ended up using a blockout banner media, the matte finish got rid of any flash and the material is pretty heavy so it hung great.

Get Lucky

If I understand, she wants to make a backdrop for people to stand in front of to get their pictures taken ??

If so, you want to use the dullest material you can find. You don't want glares and hot spots emitting from the background and overpowering the subject matter. We did lots of these on matte finish banner material. This one client had us make quite a few backdrops and she put a pole pocket at the top and then raised up which ever one she wanted.

If your wife wants to print out her photos, then what the other poster said might work better.

This is exactly what what she is trying to do and the problems that we are thinking about.

Canvas is always nice....

Thought about this as well just might be a bit expensive.

I use Eco-Sol Max 2 inks on them fine. Product name is
3608 DuraSOL

spec sheet

Didn't look at the spec sheet. I see couple eco-sol printers in there.

Thanks all for the replies.