• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

photopolymer

zkelly

My company is looking to start producing ADA/way-finding signage via the photopolymer process. We have in the past been using a Roland Desktop engraver. I have looked into the photopolymer process and like the way it works. Can anybody who has had experience with using photopolymers for ADA compliant tactile and braille signage weigh in on it. Is it worth the investment? We have spoken with Nova Polymers, are there any other companies that offer similar equipment? Any direction and or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Zach

MikePro

welcome to s101.
mmmmaybe you should check out the ISA show this month in Vegas? I'm sure there will be plenty of Photopolymer/RasterBraille to drool over and help make your decision.

JetUSA is also a supplier, that we've used for the past decade, but we're currently testing the waters with Nova... who just partnered with 3form to provide a HUGE range of products/finishes.

LOVE photopolymer. ADA signage aside, you can also make some really cool "engraved" signage in no time at all.

zkelly

Thanks ChicagoGraphics.

Mike, thank you also, our owner was given a proposal from Nova Polymers, which is what started my research. He wants to know what else is out there. I found JetUSA and have gotten in contact with them. You said you have had good success with them? How about their support and or quality? I would love to make it to the ISA show however, I am not so sure my company will send me out there, nor am I looking to fund the trip myself haha. From your experience with Nova so far do you have any pro's/con's between Jet and Nova?

Thanks!

MikePro

just diving into Nova here, so I cannot compare.
Jet has always been good to us, but at the moment it appears that Nova has a bigger/better selection of products.

sachin80

Jet vs NOVA

NOVA:
Very responsive to questions I have and have a wide selection of materials. They are tight on pricing, I had a big job and needed to order about 120 photopolymer sheets, even then they could not match what was Jet was offering. Expansive material library of material. Products are made in USA.

JET:
Customer Service is fine but would give the nod to NOVA. Better pricing and easier to talk pricing in my experience though (JET). Product comes from China/Korea I believe. I like the rigidity of their material and the shouldering on tactile. Product seems more durable to me. I have only used the clear PP from NOVA though, maybe they have better products? Jet's PP is better but it's not clear, they only have .030 in clear.

Both tend to get material to you pretty promptly.

(I know I'm like 2 yrs late - but felt like chiming in).

What did you guys end up doing?

MikePro

Jet had some major supply issues after the tsunami in Japan... after weeks and weeks of back-ordered material, I moved everything over to Nova and have been extremely happy with them ever since!
it also helped that one of our bigger projects at the time spec'd 3form materials, which Nova is now paired-up with and can supply any of the 3form materials with their photopolymer resin.

CanuckSigns

We currently use the raster system for braille, however we have been getting asked for photopolymer signs quite a lot recently. Is it true that you can not achieve a rounded braille "dot" using the photopolymer process?

It seems that quite a few architects are now spec'ing the photopolymer product because it is touted as being "vandal proof" since it is all formed from 1 piece (Ive always been of the opinion that nothing is vandal proof) I've considered adding photopolymer to our lineup, but wanted to know how the braille compares, and also easy is it to manufacture vs. the raster system for both large and small runs.

MikePro

Ive always been of the opinion that nothing is vandal proof

same here. if you build it, they'll always find a way to destroy it.
Granted, it takes quite a bit of effort to snap-off one of the braille dots, but I'd imagine about the same to pluck a glass bead out of a hole.
there are after-market braille-dot rounders available, but we simply adjust our exposure settings to create the domed-effect.
(imho, the regulation of rounding the dots because it "desensitizes fingertips" is marketing b.s. on rasterbraille's-behalf. by the time you paint the panel, the "standard" cylindrical-dots will have a soft-edge anyways.)

the lettering, however, is absolutely impossible to remove without completely destroying the panel itself. whereas the rasterbraille lettering is only as strong as the double-sided tape that comes with the material... which I have removed fairly easily from signs, out of curiousity/mischief.

if you DO go the photopolymer-route, I'd highly recommend getting a laser printer to print your exposures... as weeding braille-dots becomes extremely tiresome on large projects.
also, the foil stamping machine is a blessing.... masking&painting letters was a pain in my _ _ _ for nearly a decade before we recently incorporated it into our process, and looks WAY cleaner in the final product.

Ditchmiester

We currently use the raster system for braille, however we have been getting asked for photopolymer signs quite a lot recently. Is it true that you can not achieve a rounded braille "dot" using the photopolymer process?

It seems that quite a few architects are now spec'ing the photopolymer product because it is touted as being "vandal proof" since it is all formed from 1 piece (Ive always been of the opinion that nothing is vandal proof) I've considered adding photopolymer to our lineup, but wanted to know how the braille compares, and also easy is it to manufacture vs. the raster system for both large and small runs.

I don't think you can achieve rounded braille dots with Photo-polymer. They will always have the plateau look to them. I've done a lot of research and have made a lot of polymer in the past. Everything I found stated that the painting process is basically what rounds their braille. We have always used Nova and they are great to work with. We even have their polymer creating software which works pretty well especially for room number and anything that needs to be in a sequential order.