• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop and illustrator?

Bluedog

I am new to digital printing world. I have done vinyl cutting for quite a while now using illustrator. I am very accustomed to illy now! I want to know if I can use illastrator to do wraps? Pretty sure you can, but what about photos and jpeg backrounds( the backrounds that I see for sale are jpegs?) I have photoshop and played around with it, don't like it, lol! Can backrounds and photos be used in illy as linked files and then packaged for print? Can you send packages to the rip software? I haven't even bought a printer yet, would like to get the jist of things before I do, so it is not just sitting! Please excuse if any of this sounds stupid, like I said I am new! I know using both programs is best, and I will have to use both, but would be more accustomed to using illustrator and bringing in my photoshop items, instead of the other way around? Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks in advance!

Bigdawg

Just Me
I do most the design in Illustrator utilizing raster art of all kinds combined with Illustrator. I also end up rasterizing the whole thing a lot of times in Photoshop to make it print correctly. I'd still rather design/rasterize in Illy than to do the whole design in Photoshop. I'm sure there are others that feel the exact opposite. A lot of it depends on the actual design.

Bluedog

Thanks Stacy! I just am trying to understand why a lot of people use photoshop to do their designs since it really isn't a layout program , why do you rasterize the whole thing ? Wouldn't it be best to keep vector items vector?

C

ColoPrinthead

You need to lean about resolution and how it affects the images you want to work with at various sizes, it can be hard to wrap your head around but I'm sure the people here will help you get it.

If you can work for or partner with someone who is experienced in your field locally, you will gain necessary knowledge much faster. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure we have member near you . . . . . .

Bluedog

I think I can build my own template and design a wrap in all vector in illustrator, but including photos , well that's another story!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks Stacy! I just am trying to understand why a lot of people use photoshop to do their designs since it really isn't a layout program , why do you rasterize the whole thing ? Wouldn't it be best to keep vector items vector?

PS has special editing tools that Illy does not, and vice versa. That's why Adobe sells a myriad of products...each one has a special application. It's like a mechanic thinking he/she only needs an adjustable wrench instead of an assortment tools. Sooner or later, you'll understand the difference. You'd be amazed by what you can do with PS.

JB

MichaelAlmand

PS has special editing tools that Illy does not, and vice versa. That's why Adobe sells a myriad of products...each one has a special application. It's like a mechanic thinking he/she only needs an adjustable wrench instead of an assortment tools. Sooner or later, you'll understand the difference. You'd be amazed by what you can do with PS.

JB
:goodpost: