• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop CS5.1 not giving TIFF as a format option

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
You need the CMYK channels there to be BLANK. 0/0/0/0. Ive butted my head about that as well using Pshop and setting up white ink channel for a white only print. 99.99% sure thats solution.

ForgeInc

You need the CMYK channels there to be BLANK. 0/0/0/0. Ive butted my head about that as well using Pshop and setting up white ink channel for a white only print. 99.99% sure thats solution.

No you don't. If they are all zero, how would you print a full color job + white?

signswi

That's incredibly helpful. First off, I'm an operator, not the owner. I can't simply get a new RIP. Second, the machine doesn't operate on any other RIP, it's proprietary. And finally, pre-press people in digital printing typically steer clear of printing anything from a PDF, especially one that came from InDesign. This thread isn't really about selecting a RIP, I have a problem with Photoshop.

PDF/X workflows are standard in pretty much every major shop and have been for quite a while. This is a complete derail but your comment is myopic.

That said, Durst lists your rip as "Software/RIP:
Durst Rho Linux software for very fast
processing with minimum storage
capacity on the hard disk. Caldera RIP
Server (CopyRip)"

Caldera supports EPS, PDF, pretty much everything...not sure why you're seeing restrictions. Is your RIP software fully updated?

Kevin-shopVOX

I just tried this myself in CS5 just to test to see if it was something I needed to be aware of for future use and I don't have any issues. Here is what I did.
Image open in CMYK mode
made a marquee/selection of the area that should be a channel
on channel palette created new channel and renamed it to spot white (i now have the following channels - CMYK, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black and spot white)
Save as TIFF...no issues
This would be the same if I were to save as TIFF and bring into Quark if I wanted to use the channel as a clipping path or spot fill. I would assume your RIP to recognize the channel the same way and named the way the RIP asks.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
OK, I seem to have found a strange, inconsistent behavior in Photoshop.

Yesterday, I tested out this issue by opening a color image, adding an alpha channel, renaming it Spot White and changing the channel properties to Spot Color (double click the channel to bring up the Channel Properties dialog box). When I brought up the Save As dialog box I was given only Photoshop and a couple other choices.

I just repeated the very same set of steps. When bringing up Save As the dialog box provided a lot more choices, including TIFF.

Hmm. Could be some kind of bug or something.

Erikka@Rainier

The problem has been resolved, files came together once I added the CMYK elements in with the Spot White ones, though it took a few tries to get it right.

Saving files out as Tiffs (with spot whites) like Bobby H has noticed, it can be inconsistent which is why I thought reaching out to this community would be a smart idea.

The reason I do not like printing from PDFs is due to the inconsistency I've seen when they are saved out of programs like InDesign. Note that in some of the places I've worked (franchise sign shop), we get tons of walk-in customers that will take a PowerPoint file and save it as a PDF, or take a Publisher file and save it as a PDF. I can't tell you how many times I've seen color shifts, or shadows disappear after opening up the PDF in Illustrator. My current employer is a very custom print house, we are very keen on color and we prefer native files above all else.

We don't print brochures, flyers or catalogs, we have no need for InDesign files. All of the artwork that is submitted to me could easily be produced in other Adobe programs with more success, which means more consistency throughout our internal process. PDF may be the most ubiquitous method of sending files, but it doesn't always lend itself well to editing. At the company I work for, we discourage clients from sending us PDFs simply because we can't guarantee the results. I understand and know that Onyx and myriad other RIPs support PDF; I've printed from them at other shops. However, the company I work for requires native files if at all possible because we do a great deal of color correction and matching (we do a fair amount of fine art reproduction). There is no guarantee that a PDF will work for every pre-press tech, or every application unless you are the one that produces the PDF.

We have to build our files in a certain way to maintain a consistent workflow in order to reproduce orders in the future, we maintain it because if an issue were to arise, knowing exactly how your files are created is paramount to locating and correcting the issue. Yes our RIP reads files a particular way, it's an old machine with an old RIP. I am in no position to purchase a new one, thus I work with what I have. I had minimal training from my predecessor but she left me with a few rules to follow. One of them was only sending Postscript files or TIFFs to the Durst, TIFFs preferably because we skip the step the RIP takes by converting the file to a TIFF.

tl;dr: problem solved

signswi

There's a big difference between printing customer supplied PDFs and being in a PDF/X workflow. The later is about the best way to achieve consistency throughout an operation but we're getting derailed just oh so slightly. We also require native files or files created to supplied specs. You find a lot of shops with people with minimal training and inherited systems still clinging to EPS or TIFF when the rest of the world is moving on to PDF/X, G7, and other modern ways of managing output workflow for optimal results. Not your fault, glad the system you use is working for you just know there are better ways out there :).

Anyway glad the problem is gone ;P.

Erikka@Rainier

Thanks for the info, even as a pre-press manager it's clear I have a lot to learn about different printing/file saving methods. I've been an operator for most of my 8 years in the trade and have only recently stepped up to the pre-press plate. The majority of equipment and programs we have aren't new by any means so we work hard to establish some SOP's around here that keep it consistent. I'll do some research on other ways that are more current. I appreciate the insight.

Erikka@Rainier

Problem has surfaced again! Arrrgh!

This time there isn't supposed to be any CMYK elements at all, I'm printing a 60% tint of white on a clear film. When I created the files originally, I simply turned off the CMYK channels as was suggested and I can save them as a TIFF. However, once I bring it into the RIP, the values present in the CMYK channels are shown along with the Spot White. I can't turn off the CMYK in the RIP. So, I go back to my TIFF files and when I open them, the CMYK channels are now turned back on. I try to delete them and save, but it doesn't give TIFF as an option. I'm stumped.

Erikka@Rainier

OKAY, PROBLEM REALLY SOLVED.

Rather than copying the layer information, I need to copy the CMYK channels and then paste that information into the Spot White channel, delete CMYK info and layer info as well. Then I can save as a TIFF. It took another co-worker to go through the motions before we figured out what was wrong.