• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

photoshop help!

livoniasigns

ok all you photoshop pros.

I designed a 4'x8' 300 dpi image in photoshop. Almost all of it was done in the program except brought in 4 eps. logos to the file.

Image size says 48x96 300 dpi canvas size 48x96.

When I drop the flattened image in to production manager the size doubles to 192x96. and basicly errors out. WHY!!!!!

I have done this many times with no problems.

Any input?

Mason

So resize your image in PS to 50% and then drop it in and it should be where you want it.

GK

Hmm, just curious -- are you placing the .eps logos as a smart object and then sending the job as a .psd? If this is the case, those .eps files might be placing the entire artboard area into the file if the crop marks are not set properly.

Baz

I dont know exactly why production manager would be resizing your file (its reading some other info besides your dpi settings, happens to me sometimes with certain pictures in Flexi ... rarely though) But your resolution is to high. Printing at 100% your file should be in the 72 to 125 dpi range. I go 125 when i have text that is being printed (round areas on letters are crisper). Anything higher is just lost, takes up memory and slows your rip speed.

livoniasigns

Im opening the eps files in photoshop then im just draging them into the file im using. There real simple logos one color. I failed to mention I also have a jpg. image that im using that is also 300 dpi at 25x64. (suppled from customer) That was dragged in also. Ive been working with photoshop for 7years now and havent had this happen before. I know how to fix it in a sence but I want to know why it happened.

As for my resolution being to high. I have to disagree. I dont print anything less then 150 dpi. I have printed at lower resolutions in the past as was not happy with the outcome. I dont have any problems with rip speeds or memory problems. So I guess to each there own.

Derf

I have had this happen to me before too. I think it is because of a conflict in the Postscript of the EPS file.

I take my PSD files and flatten them in Photoshop at your choice of PPI 72, 150, 300 What ever floats your boat at full print size and then save them as a flatten PSD file. I have noticed that flexi RIPs and handles PSD files much better than most other formats.

BTW, a 4'x8' file at 300 PPI is one heck of a file. I only use at 144 PPI and out put to the printer at 720x720 DPI if I have small text. I print 90% of all files at 72 PPI and output to a 720x720 DPI print profile.

Your printer and setup is different than mine but I'm thinking you can output the same print quality you do now at half the file size.

Try this out. Print a 1 pixel x 10 pixel file and change the PPI resolution setting in Photoshop from 72, 144, 360, then print them all at the same 720x720 media profile and I bet your not going to be able to tell between the 144ppi and the 360ppi unless you use a loupe and not many of your customer look prints with a loupe. I hope not any way, that would drive me nuts.

Hope that helps!

iSign

I dont print anything less then 150 dpi. I have printed at lower resolutions in the past as was not happy with the outcome.

You may have had problems with anything lower than 150dpi... but the majority of us have not.

More importently...300 dpi, is a huge difference than 150, on a 4' x 8' print... If you ever settle for 150dpi, I would say now is the time. (I also agree with Derf, that with a side by side comparison, you would not detect the difference)

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Not sure what production manager is, but it sounds like you might have a hot folder or quickset set up wrong...

graphixtogo

Quick flatten without flattening tip... (have your flat file and keep the layers too)

When you are ready to print your photoshop document, instead of flattening the layers and losing edit-ability, select the top-most layer, and then hit shift-command-option-E (on Mac) and that will create a flat, composite layer on top of all the other layers. While that layer is still selected, hit Select All, then copy. Then create a new document (using "Preset:Clipboard" to use the copied image's size), then paste the image into the new doc.

Alot of you probably know this shortcut, but I didn't find out about it until about a year ago!

livoniasigns

Thanks for the advice everyone.

And thanks derf im going to try your suggestion.

As I said before I usually dont have any problems with huge files, but im going to try some tests at lower dpi. Maybe my standards need to be lowered to. lol.

Anyways heres the outcome to my delema:

Ended up having a tech guy come out to fix my computer. Was having issues with alot of other crap.

Then what I ended up doing is changing the size in photoshop to 24x48 150dpi
then droped the psd. in production manager and changed it to 4x8 there. Ripped and printed with no problems.
I would rather just drop the 4x8 file in but, it wouldent take it. It was something with the eps. files.

The image is in the gallery if anyone wants to look.

Last edited: