Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop help

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by rzr2rocket, Nov 21, 2009.

1. rzr2rocket

rzr2rocket Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Does anyone know a good tutorial or reference in using Adobe Photoshop CS4. I am having trouble making a collage poster. The collage will have black and white images mixed with color ones. Cutouts and outlines around the objects. Transparent with non transparent pics. I will also imported it into Flexi 8 to put fonts on the poster.

Tags:
  2. Allied Digital

Allied Digital Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Huntsville, Alabama
    eeewh - I know someone who just upgraded CS3 to 4
    They have been very frustrated as is seems completely different!
    Sorry I can't help - my experience is limited.

3. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Welcome.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Are you already proficient at Photoshop or do you know very little about it? If you're not experienced with it, you really need to either take a few classes in it or at least pick up a Photoshop for Dummies or similar book.

4. acothran

acothran Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Bowling Green, KY
    Welcome from KY.

Insignia is right on. I have CS3 at home and CS4 at work and for most things I do, there's not a huge difference (yes, the cosmetics are different). http://psd.tutsplus.com/ is a great site full of tutorials but if you need to know the difference in a polygonal lasso and the dodge tool before you start there. If you are just starting in Photoshop, the dummy type books are good or Lynda.com (subscription site) is great is you want to invest in a full gamut of tutorial videos.

Finally, on the project you are working on, it is hard to tell what help you need from your post. Let us know your experience with Photoshop or more detail about what specifically you are having trouble with, and also it might help for you to show a sample/reference image of what you are trying to create or the look you are going for. Good luck.

Allen

5. rzr2rocket

rzr2rocket Member

Nov 18, 2009
    yeah, I just got Illustartor and Photoshop CS4 so my experience is very limited. At this point and time I dont need to know the full operation of Photoshop. I guess I really need to learn the correct and easy way to mask an object and send it to flexi. But i will check out all the suggested websites. I did send for a free issue of NAPP magazine just to try it out, but thats been 2 months ago. Thanks for the help!

6. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

lynda.com has a monthly subscription for about $25 per month... lots of good video tutorials. it is a great resource.

7. I upgraded to CS 4 recently. I will say at first I hated it. It worked a bit diffeerent but as I learn how to use it I actually prefer it now. I love how you can now choose a layer by clicking on it just like Flexi does. That was a big improvement and time saver.

8. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    photoshop always had a rightclick to select layer type function afaik

9. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    You can also try www.planetphotoshop.com, they have some good tuts. Also, www.photoshopuser.com is amazing. It's a membership, but you get awesome support, a very good magazine, access to discounts, ect. If you need any other info on it, just let me know.

10. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    tutvid.com

Free

11. zgraphics

zgraphics Member

Dec 10, 2007
    planetphotoshop.com, youtube.com

12. mediaman

mediaman Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Join NAPP for $100, which gets you a year of site membership and a year subscription to Photoshop magazine. Very good archive of tutorials from A to Z. Highly recommended.