• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop image mask/cut path export to Illustrator question

JERHEMI

Hi guys...What I am trying to do is mask an image in photoshop which I accomplished and then create a cut path around the masked image using the magic wand which I accomplished as well, but after that I get stuck. What I would like to do next is either export or open the masked image and cut path in Illustrator to print the image and then use the cut path to cut out the printed image. Can somebody talk me through the steps I'm missing? Thanks!

schmitty

Once you have your selection, open up your path pallet, and make the selection a path.

Then export path to Illustrator.

Or if your software will support it you could could keep the selection as an alpha mask and save file out as a TIFF or any format that supports alpha channels.

Good Luck!

cdiesel

It's a good idea to smooth the selection before exporting the paths, too. Photoshop will select each pixel, so you'll get a million nodes and jagged cuts.