• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop Image Size for Large Images

PostNet

I have two jobs that are eating my lunch. One is a 8'x25' window perf for a local shop and one is a 20'x40' wall mural. I keep beating my head against the wall trying to set the image size in Photoshop only to have my changes take 10 minutes to process. Is there a better way to do this than to design at 100% at 150 dpi? Help please....

Jeff

SignBurst PCs

You are probably dealing with files too large for your PC to handle. You could probably get away with 72 instead of 150 as well.

I can offer suggestions, but they all include computer upgrades. More RAM, Scratch Disks, and RAID all help.

Building computers to handle these size files are our specialty. We build/sell computers for this exact purpose.

GK

With perf, im pretty sure 150ppi @ full scale is completely overkill so don't do them at that resolution because it will only slow you down. Even the 70/30 perfs won't show the quality loss.

Rooster

Normally I'd say keep the resolution at 100-120 dpi (I find 72 too low for my tastes).

But being as this is going onto window perf you have a ton of leeway. Drop the resolution and save the headaches. You'll never see the difference.

Letterbox Mike

I agree, given that it is window perf you can get away with reducing the resolution quite a bit. A couple weeks ago we finished a perf job that was 18'x36' and the file was built at 50dpi, when printed they looked like a million buckes, even up close.