• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop/Masking/Vector??!?!

Spud

Didn't know what to put the title as..

Ok so let's say I have a shape. (ie: a few shapes that make up a word) and it's in one layer let's call this layer SHAPE. Then I make a vector box in another layer that fills the whole background let's call this layer VBOX. Okay so if I go to SHAPE and Magic Wand the EXTERIOR!!! of the shape so that everything except the shape is selected (the background basically) then goto VBOX and press delete it won't delete what I want it to and keep the shape in vector.

Basically it's like tracing except a different way of doing it - is it possibly in photoshop? Any ideas? Maybe there's a mask of some sort?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I do what you're describing on a regular basis with no problem. The one thing you need to insure that you do after making the selecion on shape layer is to select the VBOX layer in the Layers Palette before deleting all pixels contained in the selection area as applied now to the VBOX layer.

A selection, once made, will only act on the layer that is selected in the Layers Palette even though the selection was made on a different layer.

Spud

Yes I understand that. But it's giving me a "Could not complete your request because the content of the layer is not directly editable" error.

I'm trying to have the raster shape I have cut out from the vector box - so basically i'm left with the raster SHAPE in vector. Then can export it to flexi, etc.

deegrafix

content of the layer is not directly editable"

I get this in CS2. Try going to the layer menu to "Smart Object" then "convert to layer" or rasterize layer. I know you want a vector rather than raster, but honestly, (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think Photoshop does a real vector file. You have to bring it into a vector program to vectorize it.

javila

You need to convert the selection to a path (under the path tab). Then do a difference (or addition) to the vector path.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I disagree and just completed what is described. See screen shots. Please not layer order and understand that I just painted the VBOX layer red instead of importing a fill file. No vectors, no masks, no smart objects, no rasterizing of type.

• Enter text on "SHAPE" layer.
  • Fill VBOX layer.
  • Select SHAPE layer in Layers palette and Magic wand select the unfilled area.
  • Select VBOX layer in Layers palette and press Delete on keyboard.
  • Deselect all and drag SHAPE layer to the trash.

Attachments

• test-1.jpg
    test-1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 134
  • test-2.jpg
    test-2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 140
  • test-3.jpg
    test-3.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 173
  • test-4.jpg
    test-4.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 153

Spud

Haha thanks man! Exactly what I was looking for.

And yes deegrafix, horrible "tracing" but it could prove beneficial at a later date to know it!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Bear in mind I was following your approach. I normally do it slightly differently. That being I make my selection by Control Clicking the icon on the SHAPE Layer palette to select the text and then do an Inverse Selection from the Select Menu. I just tend to think it's a tighter, more accurate way to do the selection.

Spud

Sweet - your right fred that would make it a tighter fit.. I was testing it on this logo.. just the inside of the white and it didn't get a great "trace" but i'll try a few different ways.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Attachments

• strators.jpg
    strators.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 118

javila

I figured when you referered to the "shapes" you meant a shape layer (which is a layer with vectors in it)

Thought you want to still have a shapes layer with editable vectors in it.