Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop or Illy

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by oc63rag, Feb 19, 2008.

1. oc63rag

oc63rag Member

May 7, 2007
    We frequently design images that have both vector and bitmap elements. Between Photoshop and Illy, what is the better one to use? We are running CS2 on both Windows and Mac. For example, if we bring in a large bitmap image (Aurora Graphics) to use as a background in Illy it really slows things down. Is there a better way to handle these?
    Thanks for any help.

Tags:
  2. ProWraps™

ProWraps™ Guest

BOTH! with the bridge. buy the entire suite. you will use both and it will expand what you can do.

3. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    I agree with BOTH, if only one choice- I'd go for Illustrator. Photoshop is very limited in vector capabilites.
    Cheers!
    Ken

4. Digital_Dan

Digital_Dan Member

Feb 19, 2008
    You do need Both!

Basic rule of thumb that I use -

Create a logo in Illustrator (No matter how big you go you get a clean image) Vectors belong in Illustrator, you can add your flare and imaging to it later in Photoshop.

Keep the photos in Photoshop. Billboards with images stay crisp if you design for that size, but once you save a sized down photo, it's shot. So make sure to keep an original large format photo. You never know if you'll need to blow it up and use on a trailer (or anything big).

I have used some photos into Illustrator with a clipping mask for web use, still works good.

5. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Indesign allows you to work easily with both formats to create your layout.

Plus it has superior text handling capabilities and creates much smaller file sizes.

6. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    Indesign is a better version of Quark. Indesign is a program for doing ads, brochures, flyers, publications. Not really designed for sign making. But, being an adobe program, photoshop and illustrator integrates well INTO indesign.

7. KR3signguy

KR3signguy Very Active Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I tend to use Microsoft publisher, it's design capabilities are limitless.

8. ChristianSlager

ChristianSlager Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Hehehe. What KR3 said...