• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop or Illy

oc63rag

We frequently design images that have both vector and bitmap elements. Between Photoshop and Illy, what is the better one to use? We are running CS2 on both Windows and Mac. For example, if we bring in a large bitmap image (Aurora Graphics) to use as a background in Illy it really slows things down. Is there a better way to handle these?
Thanks for any help.

P

ProWraps™

We frequently design images that have both vector and bitmap elements. Between Photoshop and Illy, what is the better one to use? We are running CS2 on both Windows and Mac. For example, if we bring in a large bitmap image (Aurora Graphics) to use as a background in Illy it really slows things down. Is there a better way to handle these?
Thanks for any help.

BOTH! with the bridge. buy the entire suite. you will use both and it will expand what you can do.

Ken

I agree with BOTH, if only one choice- I'd go for Illustrator. Photoshop is very limited in vector capabilites.
Cheers!
Ken

Digital_Dan

You do need Both!

Basic rule of thumb that I use -

Create a logo in Illustrator (No matter how big you go you get a clean image) Vectors belong in Illustrator, you can add your flare and imaging to it later in Photoshop.

Keep the photos in Photoshop. Billboards with images stay crisp if you design for that size, but once you save a sized down photo, it's shot. So make sure to keep an original large format photo. You never know if you'll need to blow it up and use on a trailer (or anything big).

I have used some photos into Illustrator with a clipping mask for web use, still works good.

Rooster

Indesign allows you to work easily with both formats to create your layout.

Plus it has superior text handling capabilities and creates much smaller file sizes.

weaselboogie

Indesign is a better version of Quark. Indesign is a program for doing ads, brochures, flyers, publications. Not really designed for sign making. But, being an adobe program, photoshop and illustrator integrates well INTO indesign.