Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop performing poorly. Help?

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by threeputt, Dec 28, 2009.

1. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Ok, only recently have I been having super slow performance doing tasks in Photoshop.

Here's a message I sometimes (but now always) get.

"You currently have Photoshop's primary scratch and Windows primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance."

Does anyone know how to remedy this? I would probably need a walk-through if you're going to use really technical jargon.

I have Photoshop 7.0 (I know, I know).

Tags:
  2. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I use Photoshop 7 on one of my machines too... do you have an external hard drive? if you do, you can set it up to be a secondary scratch disk for photoshop and it will help if you are running low on system resources...

3. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    just go to edit>preferences then performance. photoshop's greedy and by default will use 50-60% of memory available. with older systems i used to drop it to 25-33% typically both machine and software work better

4. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Wouldn't dropping it's available memory make it run even slower?

5. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    And what about that "primary paging file on the same volume" business"?

6. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    That's why I told you to assign a second scratch disk... it WILL help your performance... can't tell you how exactly cuz' I'm at work, but try it...

7. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    not really, ps is allocating half of the available system memory, even if it's not using it. stacy's solution is ideal, if the resources are available. when i used ps7 in college, system resources were nowhere near modern capabilities, that's how i worked around/within the limitations.

8. noregrets

noregrets Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Nz
    Ideally you will want a second 'internal' hdd which you will need to setup as your scratch disk. How much memory do you have? how many hard drives?

9. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    My system has 2.0 Gig of Ram.

As far as internal HD's go, I have the main drive and a scratch drive, E.

There's also a server which is a mirrored-array affair that can hold 500 Gig, I believe. But that is of no use other than for storage. Or so I've been told.

Should my preferences be set so that C is my first scratch, and then E as my second scratch?

Royster, I'm afraid tech notes (I did read through all of it) always kind of assume a certain level of proficiency with computers. I'm afraid I don't have that.

10. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I think you should put primary scratch on the one that windows ISN'T using for it's page file (C I believe) so, primary E secondary C

11. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Thanks, Jhill. Just did that. Now to re-start photoshop.

12. noregrets

noregrets Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Nz
    What JHill said...