• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop performing poorly. Help?

threeputt

Ok, only recently have I been having super slow performance doing tasks in Photoshop.

Here's a message I sometimes (but now always) get.

"You currently have Photoshop's primary scratch and Windows primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance."

Does anyone know how to remedy this? I would probably need a walk-through if you're going to use really technical jargon.

I have Photoshop 7.0 (I know, I know).

Bigdawg

Just Me
I use Photoshop 7 on one of my machines too... do you have an external hard drive? if you do, you can set it up to be a secondary scratch disk for photoshop and it will help if you are running low on system resources...

mikey-Oh

just go to edit>preferences then performance. photoshop's greedy and by default will use 50-60% of memory available. with older systems i used to drop it to 25-33% typically both machine and software work better

Bigdawg

Just Me
That's why I told you to assign a second scratch disk... it WILL help your performance... can't tell you how exactly cuz' I'm at work, but try it...

mikey-Oh

not really, ps is allocating half of the available system memory, even if it's not using it. stacy's solution is ideal, if the resources are available. when i used ps7 in college, system resources were nowhere near modern capabilities, that's how i worked around/within the limitations.

noregrets

Ideally you will want a second 'internal' hdd which you will need to setup as your scratch disk. How much memory do you have? how many hard drives?

threeputt

My system has 2.0 Gig of Ram.

As far as internal HD's go, I have the main drive and a scratch drive, E.

There's also a server which is a mirrored-array affair that can hold 500 Gig, I believe. But that is of no use other than for storage. Or so I've been told.

Should my preferences be set so that C is my first scratch, and then E as my second scratch?

Royster, I'm afraid tech notes (I did read through all of it) always kind of assume a certain level of proficiency with computers. I'm afraid I don't have that.

J Hill Designs

I think you should put primary scratch on the one that windows ISN'T using for it's page file (C I believe) so, primary E secondary C