• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop Problems with New System

grafixemporium

Any computer gurus out there who can give me some advice on what to troubleshoot first?

Here's my setup...

Asus P5N-D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
8GB RAM
WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10k SIDE Hard Drive (operating system & programs only)
Maxtor 1.5TB 7200RPM SIDE Hard Drive (two mirrored drives using onboard RAID for data files only)
Maxtor 500GB 7200RPM SIDE Hard Drive (PS Scratch Disk)
ATI FirePro V3700
Windows 7 64Bit
Adobe Design Suite CS3

Here's my problem...

Intermittantly, when opening large photoshop files, I'll get the message

"this document has been damaged by a disk error. the most likely causes of this error are: a defective disk drive, cable or incorrect peripheral cable termination. some of the pixels in this document may be invalid. Open anyway?"

When I open the file, there will be noticeable permanent damage; typically a pink line somewhere through one of the layers. It doesn't do it every time and it doesn't do it to every file. It usually only happens to large wrap files that are pushing close to a gig in size... but not always. Sometimes I can work on a file, open it and close it mulitiple times over the course of a few days before the problem occurs. There is no rhyme or reason. I can't say for certain yet, I'm trying to reproduce the problem with the main WD drive, but I think when I save to the WD drive I haven't had the problem.

I'm thinking of ditching the RAID first and going back to a single data drive. I just need a good, quick and easy backup solution for 1TB of data.

Anyone else experience something like this? Have any other ideas as to what may be causing it?

Rooster

Might be some sort of incompatibility between CS3 and a win7 64 bit RAID driver.

Although I'd first investigate exactly what the error message seems to indicate. You probably have a drive that's failing. Seems to happen a lot more often these days. Maybe I was just due for failures after years of problem free operation, but I've lost three hard drives in the space of the last year.

The elimination of the RAID drive makes sense. If the documents are getting corrupted by a bad hard drive or RAID driver incompatibility it should solve the problem. Remember to remove the RAID drive as a scratch disk as well.

grafixemporium

I just downloaded a CS5 trial. I'll run that for a couple weeks and see if it the problem continues. Guess it's probably time to pony up for a newer version anyway.

Just wish Adobe would offer a "pick your own package". I need PS Extended, AI and InDesign. The only way to get those 3 exact products is with Design Premium.... I'll never touch Flash or Dreamweaver. Oh well... rant over.