Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop Question

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by schurms, Jan 1, 2007.

1. schurms

schurms Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Do I want to create template backrounds in real size or create them smaller, say 10 times smaller and let it be resized at RIP ? what DPI should they be saved at ? Your help would be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    for digital printing, I like the final file to be somewhere between 100 dpi & 300 dpi.

On average size stuff (2' x 3') I might go with 150 dpi... unless it is a photo & is designed for up-close viewing... then I might go with 300dpi.

For smaller 1' x 2' truck doors, I'd go with 300 dpi.

For any large banner or sign (3' x 4' and up) I will usually settle for 100dpi, as the higher res files will only cost me time & hard drive space... but for distance viewing, it won't produce any real difference.

As for a specific answer to your question, I would always design at actual size & design at least as high of a resolution as you want to send to your printer.

In some cases if I am designing a logo with 3D effects & several layers & lots of my time... I may have a job to make a small sign today... but i may need a larger sign in the future, so I design larger then I need (and/or at a higher resolution) ...then for today's job, I will save a smaller version to speed up ripping their small print, & keep the larger file on hand if they want a big sign later.

3. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    What is actually on your template backgrounds?

Is it a detailled picture, or a fuzzy gradient or something inconsequential, and where the dpi will actually make practically no difference?

Are you talking about a vectorised file, or a bitmap file?

What program are you working with?