• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop to Illustrator Question

Lindsay50111

I have a photoshop file from a client that has a lot of layers. Is their a way of getting it into Illustrator and have the ability to change the colors of the different objects. I am able to get the photoshop file into Illustrator and keep the individual layers but all I can do with the layers in Illustrator is move and resize them. Is this a case where I have to remake it in Illustrator? Or is their a way to get the photoshop file into gerber or Flexi and then be able to manipulate the layers?? What I need to be able to do is get it into Flexi at some point....help:banghead:

Sign_Boy

Are you going to print or cut it?
If you are going to cut it, it's going to have to be vector.
If it's going to be printed why not change the colors in PS?

Last edited:

Lindsay50111

Yes I know I can change the colors in PS but I want to be able to change them in Illustrator or Flexi, that way evertime the customer wants to change something I don't have to open it in PS, then in Illustrator, then import it into Flexi.

Yes we are going to print and cut them.

Sign_Boy

Yes I know I can change the colors in PS but I want to be able to change them in Illustrator or Flexi, that way evertime the customer wants to change something I don't have to open it in PS, then in Illustrator, then import it into Flexi.

Yes we are going to print and cut them.

Is it simple enough to do a live trace in Illy?
If not it looks like you'll have to recreate it in Illy or Flexi.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The problem is to be able to isolate and select the colors so you can change them as needed.

The solution is to have single colored objects on each layer in Photoshop and change them there or to vectorize each image if you need to manipulate the colors in Illustrator or Flexi.

Since you are going to print and cut anyway, it seems logical that you would do all your image editing in your image editor ... which is Photoshop, rather than go through the more time consuming process of vectorizing everything in Illustrator or Flexi which are vector drawing and editing applications.