• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop to Illustrator question

ballparkgraphics

I have a customer who sent me a design in Photoshop as a PSD file. I am new at using it and cannot figure out how to open the file in Illustrator and convert the outside to outlines. I have saved it as an EPS but it is not as sharp as in PS. It consists of 3 names and then text inside a pawprint. Help please.

G

gps-hi

is the photoshop image clean line work? If so, do a color based selection, convert the selection to paths, and export the paths to illustrator. See the ps help file for specific directions if you need them.

Alternatively, you can import the image into illustrator and use the "trace" feature to vectorize it.

Bill Modzel

Well, lets just say that you can't cut out of Photoshop.
However, if you can make a selection path in PhotoShop and save it
in the Paths pallet that will be vector. Than go to file>export>paths to Illustrator, and
you will have a Illy file with that vector path in it. It will be unfilled and not stroked so it will be invisible until you select it and give it a color.

scott pagan

Big IF...
if the original artist built the photoshop file with imported vector art as a "smart object" from Illustrator, you can double-click the Vector Smart Object file layer and it will open in Illy. Edit and save as new name at will.

otherwise, i have found exporting paths from PSD to AI not as exact as i prefer, ie:too many unwanted points. i find it's much cleaner, and just as edit-time consuming (do it right the 1st time) to re-draw in Illy.

for a 1st timer redrawing cut paths to fit psd files, here's a quick rundown.
-open new ai document, place image file (psd, tif, psd eps, etc), in layer1 palette double click for options and select to "dim images to 50%", lock layer (padlock icon).
-add new layer for vector elements, double click layer2 palette for options and deselect "preview" (this will give you a thin pen line for accurate redrawing).
-use pen tool to draw prefered cut path. i will quickly draw basic shape then go back and tweak for better fit. if you want to choke the cut so it cuts to bleed, create a negative offset path. for a white border use positive offest path.
-discard any unwanted objects, unlock layers, flatten artwork, save as a master file, save file with only desired cut path.
-i also will use one of the offsets to mask any unwanted extra "white space" if the original image file background is much larger than the desired image.

learn that the bezier pen tool is your best buddy. keyboard shortcuts while you digitize/redraw will make life much easier (and faster).

Good Luck!