• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop won't open certain files

m.hafenbrack

When I try to open some files in Photoshop it brings up the error "cannot complete your request due to program error". The weird thing is it opens some .ps files, but not others. And any new project I create save and open fine. It seems to be older files at won't open.

I googled the problem, couldn't find anything, and re-installed Photoshop, but it didn't fix it. I'm running CS3 on Windows Vista.

Thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Will any of the files giving you a problem open in Illustrator? My experience has been that a number of applications output strange flavors of EPS or PS and often the same program cannot even open its exported files. In every case, I have been able to open in Illustrator, resave, and end up with a file that will open in any application that opens EPS.

m.hafenbrack

They wouldn't open in Illustrator, but I loaded them on my laptops Photoshop and resaved them. Now they're opening fine when I bring em back to my desktop. I don't really understand why but it worked.

Fred, you are the man. Thanks!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
They wouldn't open in Illustrator, but I loaded them on my laptops Photoshop and resaved them. Now they're opening fine when I bring em back to my desktop. I don't really understand why but it worked.

Fred, you are the man. Thanks!

That's very interesting. It would certainly point to a corrupted file in PS or something perhaps in your preferences ... can't imagine what though. But since you reinstalled and still have the problem, I can only guess that you have some kind of a software conflict going on.

Please post if you ever figure out the cause.

Dice

Try and distill the file to a pdf then open the pdf in illy or photoshop. This may clean it up.

Sometimes PS, EPS have errors that photoshop or illustrator croaks on.

Also if its a big file you might be running out of Ram. Check to make sure that you don't have a static size swap file.

m.hafenbrack

This is what I've found out after more googling...

There seems to be a common problem with installing Adobe suite on Vista. I guess re-installing (like I've done twice now) leaves behind a bunch of ghost files in the registry that conflict with the new files and cause errors. Apparently its especially troublesome with Illustrator. They say you have to uninstall, then open up the registry and find ALL instances of adobe photoshop/illustrator etc. and delete them before re-installing.

I don't really trust myself with this whole registry thing, and I got a feeling if I start deleting things in it I'll end up making it worse. I won't bother with now, but if more problems pop up I'll try it and let you know if it works.