• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PhotoTex high tack vs. regular

MikePro

has anyone used the high tack phototex for regular drywall surfaces?
is the material repositionable without ripping paint off the wall?
removability is unimportant, as permanence is, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here :)

Walter @ PhotoTex has been great, and is sending me samples, but I might not have as much time as I would like before diving-in and ordering. 3 Projects, out-of-state install, so survey is impossible. Trying to plan-ahead, as I don't want to walk into a situation with an overly textured paint finish, where the regular phototex might not hold-up as well over time.

TXFB.INS

Have not tried the High-Tack, yet, can confirm that the regular does NOT like over textured surfaces.

We have tested of SEVERAL surfaces the the smoother the paint the better the adhesion with the regular.
For the textured walls you can not post heat and get it to adhere better.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Yep, regular tack is horrible. Have to redo a whole wall this week because it's all lifting on the edges, and not really even stuck anywhere else.

MikePro

kind of what I was expecting to hear, although I'm still hoping someone can vouch for high tack on painted drywall without pulling paint when repositioning during initial application.

i just might go for it, as it is only a 36" tall mural that spans 200' (well, THREE murals, at the same dimensions)... doubtful that I will have to reposition it very much anyways.

KaranGrewal

Try Mactac wallnoodle, its 6 mil thick media, heard good things abt it. I m going to try it myself today. comes in 2 different choices , 1 yr and 3 yr products.

Jackpine

+1 Walter @ PhotoTex
I have used regular tack prints for gallery walls that are changed monthly. They remove the panels and put them back on the carry paper and reuse as needed. They have had no problems. I did provide wider backing paper for easier repositioning. They love the solution for their art exhibits. They use the panels for color and value contrast behind the object.

"is the material repositionable without ripping paint off the wall?" Yes it is.

MikePro

@Jack,well i already trust the regular tack for removal/repositionable but thanks for the confirmation :)
I'm mainly just hoping to stir-up any gripes of the high tack being too tacky to install on regular walls.

Photo Tex High Tack

Ok let me please chime in , So the High Tack (we call it EX), is 50% stronger than the normal Photo Tex version. It is intended for textured surfaces and especially when orange peel/eggshell paint is used. But it is bit to strong for painted drywall with any other paint then eggshell if your planning on removing it. The EX is also great for apparel stickers, suite case luggage identification stickers, and out door venues (painted brick) and permanent installs. I have good news - I just ordered a 1000 rolls of the NEW Solvent OPAQUE/Block Out and have sample rolls if your interested in testing some for the SOLVENT printers. We already have Opaque/block-out for water-base in stock and also happy to send a sample. PLEASE PLEASE call me anytime 330-360-0019 or e-mail with any questions or concerns, I WILL take care of you. Also please read the technical bulletins on all alternative Knock-Offs or e-mail me and I will explain why you should stick (sorry could not resist) with Photo Tex.