Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phototex on sloped wall/ceiling

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by Billct2, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I have a job to apply 2'x12' panels on a sloped wall/ceiling. I would like to use something that can be removed but will stick well. Is phototex or similar a good product? I have only used it on flat walls.

Tags:
  2. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    I think that will depend primarily on the finish of the sloped surface. If it is a sloped wall/celing, most likely the finish is fairly flat, as in paint flat, and nothing will stick very well. Phototex is one of the best options though

• Like Like x 3
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I've had some bad luck with phototex letting go/developing bubbles after install. I had one job with a set of murals that went around doors. One of the panels that was the last one, maybe 36" square, right above the door, fell over a thanksgiving break when they turned the heater down for the break. At least that was my theory. It went right back up, but did not look good on me. The customer also noted they'd been smoothing bubbles out as they showed up from time to time.
    If this is a temp install, I'd just go with ij40c and matte lam. If they want the wallpaper look, I'd look into the higher tac options from phototex, or I've heard good things about mactac's similar products, never tried them myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    A lot depends on the paint used on the walls. We just had a big job fail (Used avery permanent wall vinyl) because the aggressive properties of the paint repel not only dirt, but the adhesive on the vinyl too. Unfortunately this was a contour cut job so we couldn't use phototex. I've found the opaque version of Phototex to hold up a lot better than the original version, but I would test an area before committing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    We did a couple 10'x7' wall murals in the same area, don't remember if it was Photex or another brand, and they have held well.
    But I it sounds like I should go with something a little more aggressive.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Is this customer asking for the same look as phototex?

7. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Not asking for it, but I thought it would look better if they matched. Plus I like to look of phototex for "corporate" office wall applications

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'm right there with you as far as appearance, but let me know if you come up with a different product that you recommend.

9. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Have you thought about a regular wall vinyl rather than phototex? All of our lobby signage is printed on Mojave Sign Ad and applied to sheet rock walls. They say it easily removes up to a year but we test it every year and it comes off no problem.It has also stuck to the wall for many many years without peeling off at all. It also has a satin finish for a nice classy look. Good stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1