• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Physical Memory not showing right amount

I have 16gb of memory installed in my new system, 4x4gb. However when I go to the system info it is showing 16gb "installed physical memory" but "total physical memory" is only 4gb and "available physical memory" is 9.53gb I am running Vista 64bit.

My question is did i miss a setting in the bios to make sure i get the 16gb used properly? What is this "total physical memory"? and available physical memory"?

Attachments

• sys info 2.jpg
    sys info 2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 95

3dsignco

What does your Computer Say during Post and in the Bios. That's the First thing you want to check. You might have to Underclock the memory. I have had that Problem with some early DDR3 Ram.

After That I'm useless as I have never messed with Vista.

Supertprinting

Might not help, but we had something similar happen to us and upon opening the case discovered that one of the memory cards had popped out. It us worth looking, just in case. Also, you will discover for certain if they actually sent the full 16GB.

jiarby

post your cpuz memory tab.... it will give us the details

Also, what is the mobo/ram make/model?

Why are you using V64 instead of Win7-64 for a new build?

southshoredecal

its not your version of vista (ultimate) as that has a limit of 128gb of ram.

see link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista

i would check the limitations of your motherboard, they may be jumpers that have to be changed (physical or software) as well as the clock speed of the memory, do all modules match? are there bios updates for your motherboard? also, just because there are a lot of slots for memory doesn't mean that they are all supposed to be used at the same time. again, check your motherboard specs and manual.