• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Piecing together small graphics to make one large graphic?

tryplecrown

Hey everyone. We just added a Roland GX-24 to our screen printing shop for doing heat pressed vinyl on shirts. We've already had a few requests for small scale RTA decals (sports teams). But I was wondering about the process of cutting a large image on our cutter in a few different pieces and splicing them together? I didn't know if you use some sort of registration marks or how you slice them to begin with. I'm using CorelDraw X3 and Roland CutStudio for our cutting. Does my question make sense?

I guess an example might be a 20 x 50" graphic or logo that I would have to cut in two pieces and then piece back together during application?

Maybe is there a youtube video that shows the process?

Thanks for your help!!!

chopper

it is called tiling and most sign software will put an overlap of your choice on it for you, I do not know if corel, or your cutting software has this option, you need to look through the controls and see if there is a tiling option, and yes you can use reg marks if you like I don't,.. I set my over lap for 1/2 inch or whatever, line um up and apply, what also works is putting clear app. tape on the top half of the graphic, apply the bottom first and apply the top with the clear app tape so you can see to line it up and apply it that way,
//chopper

tryplecrown

Thanks chopper. Found the "tiling" option under the file menu in Roland CutStudio. Now that you mention that, I'm pretty sure there's a tiling option in CorelDraw but I don't know that you can translate that over to the cutting software.

I will have to test that out. Thanks again. If anyone runs across a video of the "lining up" part of the application process, I would love to see it.

Thanks again!!!

Capital Signs

That usually is called "eyeballing it. You can maybe use a lazer line to level things, such as text, etc... but for the most part, eyeballing is what I do, and many others.