• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pigment Ink for Transit?

DrSteveBrule

We are looking at an old Roland FJ-50 as a secondary printer to help pick up some of the slack. It has a Pigmented Ink system in in now but I've been told you can convert it to eco-sol (but its a pain). We would mainly use it for tranist ad's & on low-tac vinyl for Kings, Queens, tails etc. I know the general consensus is Pigment isnt as good as Eco-Sol but I was wondering if this would work?

We will be applying overlam on all of them and the average lifespan of these would be 3-5 months.

What do you guys think? Is it doable on this machine or do I need to do more research?

PS thanks to everyone who PM'd me regarding a machine, I had a ton of messages so sorry If I dont reply promptly.

sfr table hockey

The old Rolands can do just fine for prints and even canvas prints. If the stuff is indoors anyway you would do just fine with one. Converting is not that big of a deal and there are even some media that you would not need heat and still get an ok print with solvent but heat added is better.

One thing on waterbased is media and ink cost. Pigment ink is best but more $$ Dye is cheaper and may be fine for the time frame you use them. The media as in vinyl or banner material is some times 4 x the cost.

I don't know the difference between the FJ 50 and FJ 52 but there may be a way to make it think its a FJ 52 as I have seen this posted. It may be that the FJ 42 and 52's have that extra high speed mode in Super and Photo but I can't confirm this.

Also it could be left for weeks and with a single cleaning it's ready to go again.

We are looking at an old Roland FJ-50 as a secondary printer to help pick up some of the slack. It has a Pigmented Ink system in in now but I've been told you can convert it to eco-sol (but its a pain). We would mainly use it for tranist ad's & on low-tac vinyl for Kings, Queens, tails etc. I know the general consensus is Pigment isnt as good as Eco-Sol but I was wondering if this would work?

We will be applying overlam on all of them and the average lifespan of these would be 3-5 months.

What do you guys think? Is it doable on this machine or do I need to do more research?

PS thanks to everyone who PM'd me regarding a machine, I had a ton of messages so sorry If I dont reply promptly.

ChicagoGraphics

I use to have a CJ-500, I printed onto coated vinyl and used spray laminate, the graphics are still on my windows, installed on the outside, they are still looking new and I printed them over 10 years ago.
If I were you if your going to keep the pigment ink I would go into a bulk system, then it's only the coated vinyl that will be somewhat expensive.