Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinch roller track marks in print

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Colin, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I'm printing some big banners (13 ox JetFlex gloss). The lettering which is 85% black and a graphic which is 90% black (on 100% black flooded background) is getting track marks from the pinch rollers. They don't appear on any other parts of the print.

The print is obviously not returning under the rollers, so why is this happening, and is there a fix?

Tags:
  2. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Mine usually goes away after the first foot or so but if it is a heavy solid most guys just run the outside two rollers. Make sure that you roll out your material so it is loose on the feed side or it will buckle as well.

3. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    These banners are 4' x 20-30 feet long, and because of some other print issue, I'm having to run the head-height at "low", so I feel that I need the 3 inside rollers.

I'm trying to figure out why the heck it would leave marks on the 85 & 90% black, but nowhere else on the varied print.

:banghead:

4. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    most of the time they come out in a few hours.

no big deal.

5. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I hope you're right, they're significantly darker.

6. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    we have seen this happen,

once the ink dries you are good to go

7. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    It's been over 24 hours and the track marks haven't diminished at all.

:frustrated:

8. Fatboy

Fatboy Very Active Member

Colin can you post a pic?

9. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Here's an image. I was wondering how & why these track marks would disappear.

Attached Files:

10. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    That is odd. I at times need to clean my rollers with alcohol. Are your rollers clean?

11. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Yes. And again, this didn't occur on any other part of the varied print.

Who ever thought large format printing could be so much fun?

12. LenR

LenR Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Maryland
    I'll bet it's something in the document. I see odd stuff this in Illustrator files frequently.

13. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I'd bet money against that. They're just basic vectors filled with 85% K.

Could it be that the pressure associated with the inner rollers is too high?

:help

14. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    Wide format printing is a constant struggle. I find that printing rarely goes as it should. Feed will go bad, roller marks, head strikes, bad material, bad ink, bad head, blown fuse, bad board, yadda-yadda-yadda. hahah

it never ends.

15. ZsVinylInc

ZsVinylInc Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I use to have this when printing banners. It didn't matter what brand it was. I was running a Roland. The only thing I found to do is just use the outside two pinch rollers.

16. ICeMAnAbk

ICeMAnAbk Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Hm. Try cleaning a section of banner before you run it though. Might be something on it when it comes from the factory. Worth a shot to try.

17. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    This is what i would do too.

18. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    Here is my take on the track lines.

Roland black ink seems to be heavier density (think that is how to say it) as comared to 3rd party ink it lays black way heavier. If a profile is not set up to reduce the black volume, then the chance of overspray is greater. Also when static is involved it tends to show more when black fill or black text is being used compared to other colors. I think the feed rollers create a bit more of a static charge as they roll over the media and when the middle rollers are being used they tend to gather some of the overspray and then the rollers track the black onto the media.

So if you were to clean the rollers right after this happens you may find some black on them. Lowering the heads seems to help because there is less distance for the static or overspray to take effect.

Just as a test if you lower the black ink limit by about 20% and re print that section of the print and see if the same thing happens. The black will be off in color but it might not cause the overspray onto the rollers. If this fixes the problem you may want to play with the black ink limit a bit till it no longer happens but yet still gives a good black coverage.

19. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    ^^^Interesting hypothesis, however the rollers remained clean even after printing the equivalent of a full roll of 54" banner material flooded with black ink. (Not exaggerating - I've been working full throttle 18+ hrs a day for days now).

The head height was also set to low to mitigate a separate issue I'm having with the K channel.

20. FishnSigns

FishnSigns Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    Try printing the same file on a different material to see if the lines are still there. If they are, you can isolate the printer from the media. We have had challenges with banner material in the past leaving pinch roller marks and it was some oil on the banner material. If that is the case, clean your pinch rollers with iso alcohol and grab a fresh roll of media. Worth a shot.