• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pinstripe Practice Surface

Jane Diaz

Get thee to a meet! The bullpen at the meet in NJ in Dec. will have stripers. Every striper I have seen has a little different style, how they hold the brush, what type of paint...you just need to find what works for YOU! The best way to learn is to try it several different ways, get some experts to show you how they do it and then PRACTICE! DAILY! Bill learned the hard way without much help or instruction but now days if you just get to a panel jam, there will be PLENTY of helpers to say, "Try this..."
Oh and check out Youtube! There are quite a few instructional videos there.
As far as surface, Bill uses scraps of alupanel, aluminum, etc. to do panels for panel jams.
And Bill (& several other pros) use House of Kolor paints. They do have a bit of the learning curve & it's pricey but the striping he does is holding up well for a LONG time!

OldPaint

i still paint with all the vinyl .......and use vinyl for masks on a lot of stuff.

Attachments

• COREL 074.jpg
    COREL 074.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 181
  • COREL 065s.jpg
    COREL 065s.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 173

wrenchmaster

Where is the meet in NJ?

Get thee to a meet! The bullpen at the meet in NJ in Dec. will have stripers. Every striper I have seen has a little different style, how they hold the brush, what type of paint...you just need to find what works for YOU! The best way to learn is to try it several different ways, get some experts to show you how they do it and then PRACTICE! DAILY! Bill learned the hard way without much help or instruction but now days if you just get to a panel jam, there will be PLENTY of helpers to say, "Try this..."
Oh and check out Youtube! There are quite a few instructional videos there.
As far as surface, Bill uses scraps of alupanel, aluminum, etc. to do panels for panel jams.
And Bill (& several other pros) use House of Kolor paints. They do have a bit of the learning curve & it's pricey but the striping he does is holding up well for a LONG time!

wrenchmaster

Keeping the brush still side to side is brutal.
I seem to be better at keeping the same with.
Just keeps getting squiggly.

Another thing (strange) but the responds better on the long edge rather than the tapered edge. I know this is wrong but, the shorter hairs seam to effect the flow to the tip and make chatters in the line width. I must sound like a nut!
But does any of this make sense?

K Chez

Try bridging with both hands to steady the side to side shake. Also, how thin or thick (loose or tight) the paint is can have a more pronounced effect on any inconsistencies in your brush handling. (Too thin will show the shakiness more than the paint being a little thicker) Palletting/loading the brush consistantly takes a while to get the hang of-make a mental note of how you're loading the brush and what result it brings.

Also, I found by practicing on glass, it made painting on metal much easier. Glass is very unforgiving and the brush wants to slide around more. (Kinda like walking on wet ice with sneakers!) When you can be consistent on glass, striping on everything else seems easier (at least it was for me)

The event in NJ is the USSC Sign World Show in Atlantic City on Dec. 1-3. The Bullpen is an area where pinstripers & sign painters stripe panels, have panel jams and generally have a great time. I felt like I gained more in one day of being there than I did in a year of practicing. You'll get to see some legendary artists in action-Alan Johnson, Howie Nisgor, Zeke Lemanski, Rodney Early and DeWayne Connot are just some of the regular attendees. Absolutely a great time.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I honestly don't see how a written description of how to pinstripe can be of any value. You have to see it being done up close and personal to get it. As far as a surface to practice on, I recommend an inexpensive sheet of white aluminum, a 4x8. Attach it to a wall with the top at chest level. You might as well begin developing muscle memory in the pose you will most often find yourself in while striping vehicles. A piece of glass in your lap isn't the best solution, unless you expect to find yourself striping the way I did for 4 years. I worked at a major motorcycle manufacturer and striped 3 v twins a day by holding the pieces in my lap. Those jobs are harder to get now than the presidency. Watch Youtube videos if you can't locate a live striper to watch. As far as how long it's going to take to learn, I've known many excellent sign painters who couldn't pinstripe a lick despite otherwise excellent brush control. A lot depends on how dedicated you are to learning it. Every stroke you make is a step along the way and has value no matter how bad it is. Just decide you ARE going to do it and stay after it - it will eventually happen.

ddubia

Go to a local junk yard and talk them into letting you walk in and practice on vehicles. It gives you some practice on designs and color combinations Take some prep supplies with you and have a blast.