• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Pinstripe vinyl source?

AGinVT

We don't do a lot of pinstriping for vehicles here at our shop, but it does come up from time to time, and our go-to vendors don't seem to really offer it. Anybody here have a good go-to source for pinstripe vinyl, like 1/4" thick?

rjssigns

I order FDC products through MidWest. Problem is they only sell 50 yard rolls now. Was talking to my installer and its the same with his sources. Used to be able to get 50 feet. Not sure what changed.

unclebun

Ordinary pinstripe we get from auto parts store. Around here we use O'Reilly Auto Parts. If the store doesn't have it in stock you order it and they have it there the next day. Trying to order from them online is possible but a nightmare because their website is so clunky. You'll get millions of hits from your search and have to wade through hundreds of pages to find the stripe you want. Much easier to go to the store and look it up from their 3M color chart.

Shirthead

Gregory, Inc. does tons of Pin striping. They do commercial freight (ongoing) and one off projects as well. They're a wholesale vendor, so check them out. www.gregory1.com or just call them 800-835-2221.

unclebun

If you've ever pinstriped a car with store-bought 3M pinstripe material vs. stuff you cut yourself, you'd know why you would want to use the factory made stuff.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
If you've ever pinstriped a car with store-bought 3M pinstripe material vs. stuff you cut yourself, you'd know why you would want to use the factory made stuff.
YES. Unless you mask your stripes, this is a bad idea. It will stretch and break at the slightest tug.

unclebun

Even if you mask them yourself, it's still not the same. You can't buy (well, maybe somewhere you can) the same application tape they put on pinstripe tape. And you're not likely going to be premasking and then cutting your stripe and backing paper all in one fell swoop. The clear premask they use on pinstriping tape lets you bend beautiful curves, follow contours, yet also allows you to pull straight stripes 10' long, snapping it up if you need to reposition. Then after pressing it down, it is easy to remove without disturbing the new stripe. The paper application tape we all have on hand cannot do that. A 150' roll of 1/4 to 1/2" tape, whether a single stripe or double stripe, is going to retail for $70-$120. It's money well spent if you're pinstriping a car, even if that car is only 16' or 20' long.