• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PITA customer - need a favor from a couple of you

joshuamalachi

I have a customer we were trading back and forth with and he's not being a complete a-hole. He brought a truck in to get wrapped, and when he couldn't get it back in 3 days done, he cancelled the trade agreement and now I owe him about $3600 he wants paid for.

here's where I need your help.

He wanted all the wrap and art files we've already done for him, no problem, sent them right over. Now I need to get a quick estimate on having the artwork setup, just as if he were paying a designer to do it.

Now, I could tell him this is what I charge and that's that, but this guy is a class act and it's hard to tell what I'm going to get back from him. What i'd like to do is have a few quotes that legitimizes my price.

the attached picture is of the truck we did. think a professional designer gets $1200 - $1500 out of this design if they're doing the design only? can we make a quote for this where this is the price when you're a PITA?

is there a couple of you that could help? email me if you could at jwheeler@cjts.net. thanks in advance!

actually, the attached picture is of the little truck he couldn't get back.....I'll post an image of the supercrew f350 with tool boxes we did.

driver side proof.jpg

skyhigh

I have a customer we were trading back and forth with and he's not being a complete a-hole. He brought a truck in to get wrapped, and when he couldn't get it back in 3 days done, he cancelled the trade agreement and now I owe him about $3600 he wants paid for.

If you had a trade agreement for exchange of services, then charge him whatever the cost for design. The balance should be a credit for future sign work he needs from you.

So what was the problem that you couldn't get it done in 3 days?

GypsyGraphics

did your trade agreement include allowing him to manage your schedule?
unless you already has some agreement about rushing his job through... i'd say...
"it's unfortunate that you didn't plan better for this, your credit is still on the books."

OADesign

WOW. If someone is getting 1200 for that design... Hell, ANY wrap design, I need to rethink my entire strategy

Pat Whatley

If you've got a trade agreement then you've got a trade agreement. You still owe him $3600 in trade, not cash. If he suddenly can't come up with $3600 worth of sign work he needs that's his problem, not yours.

Regardless of what the wrap design looks like he did agree to let you do it and he's liable for the time it took to design plus the time it took to discuss it with him plus the time it's taking to deal with him now. There's no way you'll justify $1500 for that design though.

Really sounds like he's trying to get over on you, don't let yourself be that guy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
why he can't get it done or get to it within three days doesn't matter...
his shop, his schedule....
you NEVER let a client determine your availability or how long a job should take!

Well, to a certain degree, this is true. We never let our customers dictate anything, but when they start hollering, then we charge extra for it. Agreement or not.

If someone has an agreement in writing and one of the participants reneges on his/her portion, they pay dearly or just shut up.

If you are trading services which is called 'bartering' over here.... it still must be in writing and all taxes are still applicable in this kinda transaction. It is still a legal transaction as long as you do it by the books. However, many people don't do it this way and seal it with a handshake or a kiss and that won't work. That's an indication someone intends to eventually bow out.

I'd just pay him what is owed him and be grateful if you get anything for that design. No offense, but that looks like why he might've bowed out.

phototec

the attached picture is of the truck we did. think a professional designer gets $1200 - $1500 out of this design if they're doing the design only? View attachment 83738

No offense meant, I'm a professional graphic designer with over 20 years experience, and I do charge about 10%-15% of the total wrap price for just the design work alone, however as it has been mentioned by others, I don't really see any professional graphic design here, not even 10% ($360) worth. IMO

:doh:

HulkSmash

well I guess i'm different then most. But i'll stay every day every night to get a job done, it's rare that I say no to deadlines.

CheapVehicleWrap

well I guess i'm different then most. But i'll stay every day every night to get a job done, it's rare that I say no to deadlines.

Yes you are. So am I. And a small amount of others. Just one more reason a successful wrap shop will never be on every corner or in every dealership. Call it job security if you will lol.

TheSnowman

I just did a trade with a guy for new flooring in my house. I did my part, now he's calling wondering what I want to do, so far, it's been great working with him, and it's all verbal. If he had done work for me first, and we'd agreed to a trade, then he cancelled, I'd let him know he's got a credit with me for more sign work. Plain and simple. A trade is a trade...not an invoice with money due.

mark galoob

I'm no designer but I've learned a few things about design. Just because u can doesn't mean u should. That design will be totally ineffective advertising and I'd be surprised if ur cust got any phone calls from it. It's way to busy. It has no flow to it at all. Mark galoob

DrCAS

I don't think the OP was looking for a critique on the design... just what we thought he should charge for his design time to try to recoup what he has into the job. He should get as much as he possibly can. Personally, I think $1200-1500 is a stretch of anyone's realistic expectations.

I have been on this sort of thing. I once traded a race car lettering job for some Blazer seats. When he tried to get cash instead, I told him tough crap. If I had the money to buy the seats originally, then i would have gave him the cash. I told the guy he needed to get someone else to take the lettering job for some cash. He was not a happy camper. Too bad... so sad. Never did use the seats in my truck. I got a cash offer on them and literally doubled my money. Never did letter anyone's car, either. I never lost a minute of sleep over it, either.

I have also gotten screwed over on a barter deal, too. Traded a lettering job for a motor that, after excuse after excuse on top of excuses, never did get delivered. Too bad... so sad. Didn't lose too much sleep over that deal, either. Just chalked it up to experience and moved on.

This is one of the problems with bartering. This is why there needs to be contracts and due bills made out in advance. I will do this and you will do that. The days of a man's word being as good as a bond are fast becoming a thing of the past. What a shame.

skyhigh

I'm with Colorado on this one......(haha, that don't happen too often). I tell my customers I'll have it done when they need it.....no matter what.

It didn't sound like the customer was dictating his schedule, but rather how long he was going to be without his truck. (you can have my truck for 2 days.....pick any 2) The "pick 2" is the schedule.......the "3" was WTF?

HulkSmash

I'm with Colorado on this one......(haha, that don't happen too often). I tell my customers I'll have it done when they need it.....no matter what.

It didn't sound like the customer was dictating his schedule, but rather how long he was going to be without his truck. (you can have my truck for 2 days.....pick any 2) The "pick 2" is the schedule.......the "3" was WTF?

:Big Laugh