• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Placed PDF Does not center on artboard

Shepherd

Sometimes when I add other artwork to Illustrator, in order to make a cut line, I go to center the object and it goes left or down, instead of centering.

Sometimes when this happens it is because there is a pixel somewhere that is grouped with the object in question.

I have made sure that I am only selecting what I want centered.... still the object goes left or right.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have you figured out what is causing this?

Thanks

Shep

Attachments

• Center-01.png
    Center-01.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 353

Shepherd

Does it happen when you change the Align property to "Align with Artboard"?
I have tried both Align with Art board and Align with Selection. They both do it.
Even more interesting is that if I press align twice... it will go right twice. It should realistically stay in the same spot when you click align the second time.

bannertime

I have tried both Align with Art board and Align with Selection. They both do it.
Even more interesting is that if I press align twice... it will go right twice. It should realistically stay in the same spot when you click align the second time.

Wow, that sounds bugged. Nuke it and reinstall would probably be my next step. I can typically get a fresh install within an hour while I'm working on other stuff, but I'd understand if it wasn't an option. Hopefully someone else has an idea. I'm pretty sure I've seen that problem before, but I can't think of what caused it.

Shepherd

Wow, that sounds bugged. Nuke it and reinstall would probably be my next step. I can typically get a fresh install within an hour while I'm working on other stuff, but I'd understand if it wasn't an option. Hopefully someone else has an idea. I'm pretty sure I've seen that problem before, but I can't think of what caused it.
I could do that, however I have had this issue with different computers. Its always when I place pdfs.

bannertime

It is a clipping mask because that's what his control bar shows, so there's definitely clipping mask around. That shouldn't cause it to keep jumping to the right every time he clicked to align.

It didn't change anything for me but you could possibly adjust this setting back to center.

Attachments

• Center-01.png
    Center-01.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 261

Shepherd

It is a clipping mask because that's what his control bar shows, so there's definitely clipping mask around. That shouldn't cause it to keep jumping to the right every time he clicked to align.

It didn't change anything for me but you could possibly adjust this setting back to center.
I tried it, really hoping that was the issue. But it still does the same thing. My solution is to save as a png. Its not a huge issue, I just hoped someone else had figured this one out. It is rather annoying.

- Shep

shoresigns

This is one of the longest running and most annoying bugs in Illustrator. I've experienced it for years, on many computers.

I've never determined the exact cause, but it seems to always be an issue with complex objects that have clipping masks, and a few times I've thought there might be a connection with hidden guides inside the object.

The solution I've found that usually works is to ungroup the object and/or release the clipping mask, then re-group or reapply the mask. Takes 2 seconds if you know your keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+G/Ctrl+Shift+G and Ctrl+7/Ctrl+Alt+7).

tooler82

This is one of the longest running and most annoying bugs in Illustrator. I've experienced it for years, on many computers.

I've never determined the exact cause, but it seems to always be an issue with complex objects that have clipping masks, and a few times I've thought there might be a connection with hidden guides inside the object.

The solution I've found that usually works is to ungroup the object and/or release the clipping mask, then re-group or reapply the mask. Takes 2 seconds if you know your keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+G/Ctrl+Shift+G and Ctrl+7/Ctrl+Alt+7).

That’s what I do. I ungroup, delete the mask, then group again. That’s why I asked if they could supply the pdf and I’d try that to see if it worked, but they never did.