Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Placed PDF Does not center on artboard

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Shepherd, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

Sep 11, 2018
    v0h1t0
    Sometimes when I add other artwork to Illustrator, in order to make a cut line, I go to center the object and it goes left or down, instead of centering.

Sometimes when this happens it is because there is a pixel somewhere that is grouped with the object in question.

I have made sure that I am only selecting what I want centered.... still the object goes left or right.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have you figured out what is causing this?

Thanks

Shep

Attached Files:

2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Does it happen when you change the Align property to "Align with Artboard"?

3. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

Sep 11, 2018
    v0h1t0
    I have tried both Align with Art board and Align with Selection. They both do it.
    Even more interesting is that if I press align twice... it will go right twice. It should realistically stay in the same spot when you click align the second time.

4. bannertime

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Wow, that sounds bugged. Nuke it and reinstall would probably be my next step. I can typically get a fresh install within an hour while I'm working on other stuff, but I'd understand if it wasn't an option. Hopefully someone else has an idea. I'm pretty sure I've seen that problem before, but I can't think of what caused it.

5. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

Sep 11, 2018
    v0h1t0
    I could do that, however I have had this issue with different computers. Its always when I place pdfs.

6. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Is there a clipping mask being used in the file? Is there a text box being used?

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. tooler82

tooler82 Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Camp Shelby, MS, USA
    That’s what I say. Something invisible or something in the PDF. Maybe converted to pdf and there’s a blank box or something in there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bannertime

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    It is a clipping mask because that's what his control bar shows, so there's definitely clipping mask around. That shouldn't cause it to keep jumping to the right every time he clicked to align.

It didn't change anything for me but you could possibly adjust this setting back to center.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

Sep 11, 2018
    v0h1t0
    I tried it, really hoping that was the issue. But it still does the same thing. My solution is to save as a png. Its not a huge issue, I just hoped someone else had figured this one out. It is rather annoying.

- Shep

10. tooler82

tooler82 Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Camp Shelby, MS, USA
    Can you post the pdf so we can try?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    This is one of the longest running and most annoying bugs in Illustrator. I've experienced it for years, on many computers.

I've never determined the exact cause, but it seems to always be an issue with complex objects that have clipping masks, and a few times I've thought there might be a connection with hidden guides inside the object.

The solution I've found that usually works is to ungroup the object and/or release the clipping mask, then re-group or reapply the mask. Takes 2 seconds if you know your keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+G/Ctrl+Shift+G and Ctrl+7/Ctrl+Alt+7).

• Like Like x 1
  12. tooler82

tooler82 Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Camp Shelby, MS, USA
    That’s what I do. I ungroup, delete the mask, then group again. That’s why I asked if they could supply the pdf and I’d try that to see if it worked, but they never did.