Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma Cutters

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by freeportsign, Jan 21, 2005.

1. freeportsign

freeportsign Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Does any use a plasma cutter on a cnc router table i was looking on ebay and seen a couple of them for sale and would like to know how well the work or how well they don't work and help would be greatful:biggrin:

Tags:
  2. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Look at www.scorpiodesigns.us, he came down and trained me on the software for the machine that both of us run. I haven't used our plasma cutter attachment yet, but he does and has done some pretty awesome stuff.

3. Vital Designs

Vital Designs Vital Designs

May 29, 2005
    Dalls, Texas
    I use a hypertherm 1000 with the fine tips on a 4x8. The arc voltage control is a must.

Depending on what you want to do will determine what torch will best suite your needs. If you are going to cut fine detail on metals thinner than 18 guage exclusively then a hypertherm 600 would be a better choice. The 1000 is great for thicker material. It took a little trial and error to figure out the right speed/ amps for each thickness. A 5 - 10 degree distortion of the rooster tail underneath the metal is a good indicator of speed.

I don't use it a whole lot but it does work real well. I have a friend that does plasma cutting exclusively and he makes some really fine pieces.