• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plastic water tank

Double Diamond

I have a customer needing a decal on the end of a large plastic water tank. It's like those you may see on a trailer for use by guys offering portable pressure washing. It's about 500 gallon. I think I tried to get cast to stick years ago and it does not do well. I did test a piece of intermediate after cleaning a spot with alcohol and it stuck well. I am thinking 3M primer first, then maybe a solid decal, not letters. He wants it on the ends that are slightly rounded like a large ball. If this is not practical, I will let him know and go another direction off of the tank.
Thanks for the help, DD

Si Allen

Most plastics have to be corona or flame treated to get rid of the mold release. You might try using Rapid Prep to get it clean.

A solid decal is gonna be a bear to apply to a semi sphere ... use individual letters!

Tigertron

It's probably polyethylene or polypropylene. I know making paint stick to it is pretty much impossible for long term. Clean it good with wax and grease remover and use an adhesion promoter like bulldog tie coat.

Tony McD

The last plastic barrels I tried to stick decals on didn't work too well.
They were the white plastic 55 gallon barrels.
What worked for me was to make a stencil of just the outline, slightly larger than the graphic, and spraying a background coat of Krylon fusion. The decals have been on now for 5 or 6 years.
Not sure if this would work for you, these barrels don't get pressure washed, etc...

Zul

Def Convex - high bond or gear wrap. Will work but it will cost you (ie your customer)

Double Diamond

Thanks folks!

I will consider these tips. I like the krylon idea and will price accordingly. Hopefully we price it so high our customer decides to go an easier direction... but lately for some reason, all our customers don't care about price and will pay just about anything. I have been learning to be careful because we still have to do it even if we are being overpaid!
Thanks again, DD

Bill Modzel

If you're going to try one of the super adhesive vinyls it will still help to flame treat the area with a propane touch right before applying the vinyl. It will burn off the plasticizers which the cleaners wont normally remove.