• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PlastiDip....Ever used it?

Charlie J

Have any of you ever tried PlastiDip? It seems like a pretty cool alternative to trying to wrap something flat black. I friend of mine recently bought some and we sprayed it on a bunch of different stuff and it comes right off! Pretty friggin cool!

I've been checking out some of the videos at http://dipyourcar.com/ and I'm pretty impressed with this stuff. I'm gonna head over to home depot over lunch and pick some up.

I'm curious to see how well this stuff holds up vs wrap film.

cgsigns_jamie

I resprayed the center console/cup holders in my M3... BMW used a rubber paint from the factory and after 7 years it began to peel off, I figured I'd give the PlastiDip a try. It seems to hold up pretty good. I painted it about 6 months ago and it still looks new.

I cleaned and sanded the plastic really good then did about 4-5 really light coats. Looked just like factory when I was done.

I've never done anything like you're talking about.

It was all over M3Fourm.net last week, talking about spraying the whole car for a matte black look. Somehow I can't see that turning our right.

My biggest concern would be adhesion. As you say it peels right off when applied to a smooth surface... What would keep it from peeling off when driving through a down pour on the interstate? Then, how would you wash the car without removing the PlastiDip?

megacab

did it to my wheels to make sure i wanted them black before having them powdercoated. a local here sprayed his whole camaro with it. looked fugly, but different for sure.

Jack Knight1979

I'd never spray a car with it. I use both versions. Spray and liquid to dip tools and electronic conections (low voltage of course.)

great product.

ive used it on tools and other things like jack said but idk about a whole car id say there is no way it can hold up to vinyl on a large scale like a full vehicle wrap but for small things its a great product

Flame

So if it doesn't come off with a pressure washer or rain....how DO you peel it off when you want it gone???

qmr55

I had a friend who did his rims. They held up good for 6 months. He decided to do his hood and roof. LOOKS RIDICULOUSLY STUPID AND UGLY.

Paint it or wrap it. End of story....

FS-Keith

When did you see it?

I see him driving by all the time and I work like two mins from where he parks it. No matter what he says on offtopic to all you It really does look horrible. to take a car with actually nice paint and do that to it and use the reasoning of paint protection when he is TRAILERING a car across the country doesnt make sense when you can just painters tape the front of the car like all the other bros do. 5 mins and the tape is off.

That thread was getting hilarious to read. Those same friends we share that he was saying thinking I am secretly gay lol where chilling at my house at my mini get together instead of at his going away party if that tell you anything about his so called "friends"