• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Platform/rack on bucket vans?

Signsforwhile

We are shopping right now for something with a lift on it. Were originally looking for a utility style truck with the bucket because I know it would be easier to get a platform running over the tool boxes and up over the cab on it. Looks like the market has a couple more vans than uti bodies so chances are we'll end up with a van. We're just concerned about being able to load things onto it. Any have a bucket van that has fabbed a platform around the stowed arm?

FS-Keith

screw a bucket van, it depends on your budget. when I finally buy a brand new service truck it will be a flatbed f550 with under body boxes. But for now my utility body service trucks work fine. My first bucket was an econoline van and it sucked trying to get 4x8 signs in and out, nealing down in the van trying to find your hardware and connectors. never again

Tifosi

I second Keith's opinion. We have a bucket van and it is a pain!!! Not worth it for a sign shop.

The F550 with a 35-40' double knuckle arm and a bucket that will swivel on the end of the arm is what you really need. Big enough to work for you and not too big where you get into jobs over your head so to speak. This is what I have my eye on at this moment. This is what most utility companies use.

The Van comes up short on every task.

Wes Phifer

I liked my van. Tools and supplies were always dry. You can get 4x8's in if you set it up right. It you have a bigger sign to haul just pull a trailer. They are small enough to get around easy and big enough to get everything in.

Mainframe

Remember, if you get a truck with tool boxes, they will be easy to get to while you install. A big plus to be able to stand and get your tools.

Also, don't be afraid to travel a bit to get a truck
It will be worth the time you spend.

rjssigns

What about a Mantis? Ya know the tow behind hi-lift? Things go to 40' and can be wedged into very tight spaces where a bucket truck can't get. Of course I don't know your business model and percentage of use for a boom truck. Kinda partial to the tow behinds because they are cheap enough to let them sit and rot if your business takes a different direction.

Signsforwhile

i forgot about this thread!! after searching and even getting burned on a van that was 3 hours away (ie, we showed up and it wouldnt start and the boom wouldnt move) we found an old utilities truck close to us. 97 f super duty with a fiber glass body and telsta boom. very happy with our decision. locking tool boxes = shop on wheels. better yet - we paid $4400 for it!!

it has 178k on the clock but fires right up and transmission shifts smoothly. even if we had to dump a couple of $ into it we're already ahead with rental fees we're saving and using it on jobs we would normally use ladders. has an onan generator on board that puts out 50 amps so it can run most of our welders and we don't have to fumble with extention cords. hammer drill plugs right into the bucket! also just finished mounting a compressor into one of the cabinets that fills whenever the generator is used. having air for simple things like blowing off a sign once it's up is more of a luxury than i would have expected. have been able to double or tripple work done in a day because of this vehicle!!

ps: we've lettered the truck since those pics, of course.

IMG_20120429_175513.jpg

IMG_20120429_175533.jpg

IMG_20120420_183856.jpg