Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playground sign material?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by dakotasignwerks, Mar 26, 2011.

1. dakotasignwerks

dakotasignwerks Member

Feb 1, 2008
    north dakota
    I have a client looking for a sign for several playgrounds. They need to be extremely durable and kid resistant. What substrate has been working best for these type of applications? Also, which vinyl/ overlam would be best? I currently use Arlon and Oracal to print on and various laminates.

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    .080 aluminum with rounded corners and screen print them for durability. Other than theft or complete vandalism.... these will be pretty much... everything proof.

If you use die-cut vinyl, it will be picked apart. If you use digital prints, they'll be peeled off. Kids are much smarter than you give them credit for.

3. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Exactly what Gino said.
    .080, r/c.
    I did pool signs oh about 10 years back in cut vynull then had them professionally coated with automotive clear. Kids still picked off the letters to make rude words.
    The little darlings.
    Love.....Jill

4. dakotasignwerks

dakotasignwerks Member

Feb 1, 2008
    north dakota
    then the next question would be where can I get a quote for doing the screen printing to the aluminum? Are there any merchant members that do this specifically?

5. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    Yep. What Gino and Jill said. If it is a small order you could use a paint mask and the proper paint.

6. dakotasignwerks

dakotasignwerks Member

Feb 1, 2008
    north dakota
    it now appears the client would like just one sign. not multiple. ugh! would direct print to aluminum be an option, if it is even available. I understand the minimum qtys for screen printing is a deterant for most wholesalers. thanks wes70 that may be the option I have to take.

7. Eric H

Eric H Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Routed colorcore, more expensive but it's going to last.

8. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
  9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    In your case, the paint mask thing is your best bet.

10. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    +1