• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please educate me on Flex Faces

Drip Dry

Looking to do a new Flexface. Being told by a local vendor that they can use Cooly Bright and eradicate the areas needed and then lay in a digital print to where the material was eradicated to white.

I've never seen a Flex Face up close, but I always thought that it would just be printed onto whatever material it is, and that becomes your face.

Is the Cooly bright way an accepted way of doing it ?

Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looking to do a new Flexface. Being told by a local vendor that they can use Cooly Bright and eradicate the areas needed and then lay in a digital print to where the material was eradicated to white.

I've never seen a Flex Face up close, but I always thought that it would just be printed onto whatever material it is, and that becomes your face.

Is the Cooly bright way an accepted way of doing it ?

Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks

You can either just apply vinyl to the flex or have the faces printed. Eradication is an option, but not "the norm".

Keep in mind the face should be cut approximately 12" larger (HxW) than the face side of the sign to account for the material that will be attached to the framing. In other words, if your cabinet/framing is 5' x 10', you'll need a 6' x 11' face. Depending on where you get your flex, this may push you into a larger roll (ie: if the available rolls are 5' or 8', you'll need the 8'). Be sure to quote/bill accordingly.

visual800

cooly bright is high as hell, we use NiteLite. I would prefer to eradicate as opposed to digital print. I think it will last longer. Ive seen some very bad printed flexs around here. we also use this on backlit awnings

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I agree on the digital printing. It's not a great way to go. Usually it has to be double-struck or printed front and back. Even then, lighter colors tend to wash out.

pjfmeister

We used a MM to print a couple large flex face for us this summer. I believe they double striked the front and single strike the back. Full color full bleed...Turned out great. Looks great day and night...PM if you want contact info of the supplier...

royster13

Sometimes I think this should be Signs 201 or Signs 301 because some of the info is way beyond 101......Thanks for all that contribute......

Chris85

"I agree on the digital printing. It's not a great way to go. Usually it has to be double-struck or printed front and back. Even then, lighter colors tend to wash out."

We love Digital Printing! We are using PureColor Technology so there is no washout at all. Front-lit and Back-lit color consistency and It's not mirror image printing.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
"I agree on the digital printing. It's not a great way to go. Usually it has to be double-struck or printed front and back. Even then, lighter colors tend to wash out."

We love Digital Printing! We are using PureColor Technology so there is no washout at all. Front-lit and Back-lit color consistency and It's not mirror image printing.

Chris, Miratec doesn't fall into the "usually" category. :smile:

The previous sign company I was at used Miratec occasionally and had great results. Most printers don't have that technology, so "usually" they have to resort to double-striking or 1st and 2nd surface printing (as you know).

I think I've talked to you before when I was in estimating, but it's been a while.

Chris85

Yeah, I see what you mean. We have been getting a lot of printing jobs for sign shops because PureColor actually dropped our prices a little and raised the quality. I'm not sure if I talked to you before, I've only been here since the summer, but I'm meeting a lot of new people in the industry and really enjoying it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Ah...wasn't you then. It's been a couple of years since I worked at that company.

Chris85

Got ya, and thanks to everyone who is active on this message board. I've learned a lot from reading a few topics a day.

Edna

How hi up is it? Any idea what the method it that hold the face in. I had seen some that our clips and som wrap around a bar and screw in...and then their our the one for the extruded cabintes that have tension screws.... I agree signs 201 stuff.

Cooley is cool stuff, be sure to use white rags when eradicating, I used a redrag one and the white turned pink, and wouldnt come out, $600 mistake!

MindsEyeOpen

At my previous shop we got a ton of Flex faces from Miratec. The quality was outstanding and the service was top-notch. Ryan always took good care of us.

Chris85

Thanks for the feedback MindsEyeOpen. Ryan knows so much and he is great at finding the right fit for every project no matter what the price.

Drip Dry

Thanks everyone... Seems it's 50/50 on digital or cooly. So, it seems I'm on an OK path and not about to be hit by a truck

Thanks