• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PLEASE HELP!!! Colorshifts in my grayscale gradients with EPSON GS6000

sonnyssigns

hello,
I have a epson gs6000 which is giving me much grief when it comes to printing grays...i bought the printer as a demo, it came with colorburst rip ver. 9.6....it came preloaded with environments for every type of media out there...i use alot of 3m IJ-35 and they have the right environment for that paper.....first issue with grays was fixed by epson (under warranty)....i had missing lines on my yellow in the nozzle check which made my grays come out purple....they replaced the capping station where the heads rest and fixed the problem...prints were perfect after....now three months later (5 days out of warranty) the issue came out again prints coming out purple....missing jets in nozzle check...heads were dirty due to soaked flush pad...replaced pad, cleaned heads...head flushed still caused ink to build on heads so i just stopped doing them....after three head cleans, bunch of nozzle checks, and printing a few files....the colors improved alot, but even still when i print a gray gradient, there is a color ship from pure K gray, to hue of magenta gray, back to a lighter pure K gray, then finished off with a light gray with yellow tint....so iam still get a severe color shift in my prints....nozzle checks are perfect! so epson eliminated heads as the issue...they are saying its the RIP....I dont see how its the rips since iam using the same media w/ same environment, but its printing the same files i printed before when it was working completely different color hues...esp. in greyscale......i tried relinearizing my profile using spectralvision pro, and i cannot get the DTP-41 driver to communicate....but my actual/baseline settings are fine either way so i dont see the need to relinearize....i uninstalled and reinstalled software.....still same issues....

does anyone know what could possibly cause a color shift in my greyscale gradients even though my nozzle checks are perfect...wether it be the printer or the RIP....or maybe some troubleshooting or maintenance i can do....
its also not my design files, because i made sure my gray gradients were 100% K...and i printed in both RGB and CMYK with same result....please i need help...Iam new in this large format printing industry and I have no idea what to do...

Bly

The first sign of a need to re linearise your printer is a cast in greys.
So if your profile used to be spot on but now aren't - you need to reset the baseline output by re linearisation.

sonnyssigns

The first sign of a need to re linearise your printer is a cast in greys.
So if your profile used to be spot on but now aren't - you need to reset the baseline output by re linearisation.

i tried that but iam using color burst...and for some odd reason i cant install the drivers for spectral vision....iam so dumb when it comes to this stuff....there are over 40 different lin targets i printed a 4 color dtp-45 lin target is therer something secific i should use to relinearise

rfulford

You should print the target that matches your spectrophotometer. If you do not have one, look for an eye one on ebay or new even. As far as spectral vision goes, it is not restricted with a dongle or license key. You can install on any computer and save out the readings to import into colorburst.

sonnyssigns

You should print the target that matches your spectrophotometer. If you do not have one, look for an eye one on ebay or new even. As far as spectral vision goes, it is not restricted with a dongle or license key. You can install on any computer and save out the readings to import into colorburst.

is there any way to relinearise without a spectrometer? bc i just figured out that i had to buy one didn't know it was something separate….iam so dumb when it comes to this stuff….thats why aim trying to learn….but lets say i want to just make a whole new icc profile instead of relinearising can i do that without a spectrometer