Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help what Silicon adhesive for this particular application

Discussion in 'Materials' started by long Liu, Jun 20, 2020.

1. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    I just cut signage front face off. And going to replace some new acrylic letters.

Any pro knows what silicon adhesive should I use to seal and adhesive the letters?

Much thanks.
    Long.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I can't see your picture.

3. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Not crystal clear on what you're doing, but if you're adhering acrylic to something, I would recommend Lexel.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

+1 for Lexel.

I like to use Lexal and VHB (they make VHB in clear if the situation dictates). The VHB holds it in place while the Lexel fully cures.

I find it helps to put a dot of Lexel next to, or on either side of the VHB so it will keep the VHB from grabbing until you get them perfectly positioned. There is an art to the size of the dot used based on the width of the piece your attaching. Too thick and it will squeeze out, to thin and the VHB makes contact before your ready.

Before Lexel I used to use PowerGrab. It's my distant second choice, but finding the clear version is rare. PowerGrab isn't as thick and has less initial holding power but it is easier to clean up if it squshes out the edges. you can find both in squeeze tubes and for caulk guns.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  5. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

I hope that's the backside of the sign, otherwise, it's a hot mess.

If it is the back, why isn't it just backed with a rectangle of plex several inches larger than the cutout lettering? It seems like a lot of extra time to make, place, and seal each letter with almost no material savings.

And last but not least, why does it have to be sealed? Where your slide the panel in the frame isn't sealed. Water collects in the bottom of the frame and drains out the weep holes.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. John Miller

John Miller Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Branford, Connecticut
    Lexel would be my choice

7. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    the silicon adhesive is to keep the acylic letter to the cut out sheet. I just bought the lexel 13010. thanks Long

8. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    thanks for the suggestion, I will just place a rectangular shape acrylic for holding the letters. appreciate the helps.

Long