• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please help: which cutter to cut 20 mil of various media?

NewSign

Hi everybody,

My project involves cutting through a few stickers that have 3 layers of different medias: a 7-8 mil film, a 3-4 mil vinyl layer and a 10 mil paper liner. (Yes, unlike sign making, I need to cut through the back liner). The size is actually small (about 12 by 20 in).

Could you please advice on which cutter would be the best buy (my budget is about $500-1000). Right now, I am looking at
(1) USCutter 25". This one is cheap but the brand is so young. Is there anyone using their cutters? (Link http://www.uscutterdirect.com/USCutter-LaserPoint-24--Cutting-Plotter-Without-Stand_p_0-69.html )
(2) Roland GX-24 Cutter. Ironically, I could not find the maximum media thickness this cutter would accommodate (not in Specification in the manufacturer website)
(3) EnduraCut 24" (link http://www.signwarehouse.com/specials/creat_packg.htm )

Thanks a bunch for your advice!

P/S: BTW, I can't resist to ask this dumb question, as this is my first project: is it OK to load a long piece of vinyl (about 12" by 200") manually to the cutter instead of the specified roll?

Samm

I'd personally go the Roland, can't beat them. But for this kind of job!!??

Settings - you can cut through your own skin with the correct blade and settings, BUT, going right through will undoubtedly damage the cutting strip.

To your PS ?...yes it is, just make sure it is bigger than whatever it is you wish to cut!

Sam

Last edited:

Bogie

What, specifically, are you trying to do? A complete die-cut of the whole mess? It'll be a LOT easier for folks to handle if you just cut the image, and leave the backing paper.

OldPaint

GX-24 will only have 250 gram DOWNFORCE.
GX-300 pro model will have 350 grams.
what you are tryin to do...dont sound good....
you seem to not know what you are doing...but tryin for the cheapest way out....WONT WORK!!!
you need a PRO MACHINE, SUMA/ROLAND PRO/GRAPHTEC MAJOR MODEL/ GERBER...
as for 12"x24"...200 "...where ya gona put it unless YOU ROLL IT UP????
as for you $500-1000....whatever you buy for that price....AINT GONA DO WHAT YOURE ASKIN...
and it will be money wasted. look at these.
http://www.rolanddg.com/product/cutting/gx-500_400_300/gx-500_400_300.html

Flame

Your budget is far too low. To consistently cut through the material and backing paper, ESPECIALLY at 20mil thick, you'd have to get a flatbed plotter. Which start at $14,000.

A friction feed plotter simply cannot handle this kind of work effectively. Trust me, I've tried many times over on a variety of brands (Roland, Summa, Graphtec etc.). A flatbed is what you need, period.

I'd looking to buy one myself at the moment. And yeah... not cheap!!!

NewSign

Ouch! I will not be ready for a $14,000 flatbed any time soon :-(

Would you guys suggest any alternative?

I would need to cut about 7-10 different shapes, so may be I should think about the die-cut press machine? Can someone give me an advice on such machine?

Thanks, cpknut, Bogie, OldPaint for letting me know what I can't do!

P/S: Flame, do you mean that you have tried to cut through the backing paper before and none of the cutters would work properly?

PGSigns

Another option would be to try it on one of the Ioline plotters. I have a Super 88 that has 5 pinch rollers that I used for sand blast stencil material and now is a spare. It may work for you and fits your budget. I think I would try and not cut through the material and just leave a couple of thousands left. This would protect the blade and cut strip.
Jimmy

Flame

I have tried cutting through the backing paper, and while it sometimes works, it is not good long term and it's always hit and miss.

For just a few shapes, go the die-cutting route. Definitely.

markyeoman

Get a SUMMA

Save your $1000 and outsource the cutting to someone with a S Class Summa Tangential cutter have them flex cut the stickers (cut leave a tab cut leave a tab) and punch them with your finger when your done.

The Summa T Cutter has 600g of downforce and can cut upto 47 mils thick unlike any other cutter on the market

It should work I have cut thicker before....motocross stickers 6mil vinyl and 12-18 mil lamination

MY

Last edited: