Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plotted Electrocut Film

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Renato Pinto, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Renato Pinto

Renato Pinto Graphics Manager

Mar 10, 2018
    Kansas
    We have to make a couple of large street name signs for a Signal Project.

One sign is 2' by 11' and the other one is 2' by 7ish'. Anyways, we normally outsource this but i was wanting to do this in-house. I laid the White HIP on an aluminum sheet and then plotted some green electrocut.

First question, does anybody else have issues plotting green electrocut? Not sure if its a sensor thing since the film is mostly clear but no matter how well i line up the roll of material, it always gets off track. Any tips?

Second question, once it has been plotted and weeded. I apply the paper premask and line it up with my sign. I started mounting the electrocut to the sign with my cold laminator and it started just fine but it just started walking like crazy and bubbles and wrinkles started showing up. Any ideas as to whats going on?

I'm hoping it was just a one off error and it won't happen again but i just wanted some feedback so that i'm not wasting anymore material.

Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    looks like you have too much tension on the premask while laminating it. Did you roll up the material and put it in the laminator like you would with actual laminate, or did you lay it on the panel?

3. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I wouldn't use a paper mask on this. A good clear mask will be way better for this. I've never had a skew issue with the EC. Load it in, hold the roll from moving, pull tightly on the end of the material and then drop the rollers.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I've never used a clear mask, what's the advantage here?

5. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    In my opinion, it's not as prone to the distortion that causes those types of bubble. I'd bet that switching to a clear tape will prevent the mounting issues. I'm not sayin you have to buy that 3m recommended stuff. We use whatever clear Rtape or Transferrite we have.