Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plotter blade that can cut bandaid material?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Doyle, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    You know, the cloth bandaids, not plastic, with adhesive on the back side. This is for a medical product prototype for a customer. I am able to print the material, but wonder about cutting it? My first impressions were that the material is probably too thick/tough and the blade would just tear it up.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Tags:
  2. mobilwraps

mobilwraps Member

Nov 14, 2010
    :popcorn:

3. CentralSigns

CentralSigns Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    Dude don't think a plotter is what you need. You are needing a completely different piece of equipment, or cutting system.

4. Dave Drane

Dave Drane Very Active Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Like laser?

5. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    The alternative here is to have the customer send it somewhere to get die-cut. I am just putting this out there to see if anyone has ever experimented with this or has experiences cutting any type of cloth-like material in a plotter.

6. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Have you tried it? How much different can if be that Phototex?

7. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    How complicated is it? You said it is just for a prototype, can you cut it by hand?

8. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
  9. vinylbarry

vinylbarry Active Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Thanks for the link Tre thats some nice machines. Not to be a :thread

10. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I have a Kensol hot stamp press that can die cut up to 4" x 11". I use AutoCAD for designing steel rule dies and my diemaker is in Kalamazoo. It might be overkill for just a prototype.

11. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    what for?

ever seen dactac? or insignia cloth?
    These are dacron cloth products, already converted to punched & unpunched rolls, available through various suppliers, like Clarke Systems for example, and can be cut on a plotter, have a very aggressive adhesive, & a very distinct cloth texture (and real threads)

12. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    If I could try a different material I would, but the customer is providing this material and it cannot be substituted. I would cut by hand if it were only a few pieces, but it is actually 200 pieces and would take far too long to cut them by hand.

I am going to do a couple of tests with the material and may have to send this customer to a die-cutter. Thank you for the replies!

13. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    How did you make out Doyle? I have a customer who just asked for a quote for printing (& cutting) onto some dacron (with adhesive on the back). They will provide the material. It's white, and at first I thought "no problem", but now I'm wondering about the reality of cutting 500 decals.

14. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Hewow?