• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter blade that can cut bandaid material?

Doyle

You know, the cloth bandaids, not plastic, with adhesive on the back side. This is for a medical product prototype for a customer. I am able to print the material, but wonder about cutting it? My first impressions were that the material is probably too thick/tough and the blade would just tear it up.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

CentralSigns

Dude don't think a plotter is what you need. You are needing a completely different piece of equipment, or cutting system.

Doyle

The alternative here is to have the customer send it somewhere to get die-cut. I am just putting this out there to see if anyone has ever experimented with this or has experiences cutting any type of cloth-like material in a plotter.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have a Kensol hot stamp press that can die cut up to 4" x 11". I use AutoCAD for designing steel rule dies and my diemaker is in Kalamazoo. It might be overkill for just a prototype.

iSign

what for?

ever seen dactac? or insignia cloth?
These are dacron cloth products, already converted to punched & unpunched rolls, available through various suppliers, like Clarke Systems for example, and can be cut on a plotter, have a very aggressive adhesive, & a very distinct cloth texture (and real threads)

Doyle

If I could try a different material I would, but the customer is providing this material and it cannot be substituted. I would cut by hand if it were only a few pieces, but it is actually 200 pieces and would take far too long to cut them by hand.

I am going to do a couple of tests with the material and may have to send this customer to a die-cutter. Thank you for the replies!

Colin

How did you make out Doyle? I have a customer who just asked for a quote for printing (& cutting) onto some dacron (with adhesive on the back). They will provide the material. It's white, and at first I thought "no problem", but now I'm wondering about the reality of cutting 500 decals.